The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
puls1234

Ad to find Tenant Buyer

Does anyone have a particular way they place their "Family needs lease with purchase option in good area" ad in the paper? Should you bold it? Should you Border it? Are there other ads that work better? I know that Thanksgiving weekend is notoriously slow but I am looking for ideas to get more calls off my ad. So far in 3 weeks I have only been getting 1 call a week off of the "Family needs ad." Look forward to your thoughts.

Puls1234

Mark,

I understand that. I am just looking for the best ways(classified ads) to get the phone to ring. I wanted to see if someone was running a different ad that happened to be pulling more.

Puls,

I don't run ads at all to find tenant-buyers. For me it is just too expensive. I am having great success just putting up signs that say "Rent to Buy" and a phone number. Every weekend I put out about 15 signs and get around 10 - 15 calls over a 4 or 5 day period.

For findinging sellers I do direct mail. Right now just to expired listings.

I do ads to find tenant buyers and for finding sellers. I think this is the most time efficient way to get your goals accomplished because you hitting the most amount of people all the time. It costs me $50/mo for each ad.

Mark, I think our friend puls1234 meant to title his post "Ad for Homeowners". I know he understands the "Family needs lease......" ad is to get sellers calling you. Isn't that right, puls?

Whether or not you should run ads for tenant/buyers as a routine matter seems to come down to your locale. It can be very cost prohibitive in most major metro area newspapers to run advertisements for tenant/buyers for a property that does not yet exist in your portfolio. And in some cases, even when you do have a specific property you are trying to fill, for a newbie working with a limited marketing budget it still may not be a practical option. Other, less expensive marketing ideas would need to be utilized.

Michael,

It can be very cost prohibitive in most major metro area newspapers to run advertisements for tenant/buyers for a property that does not yet exist in your portfolio.

I'm in one of those markets. St. Louis only has one primary newspaper now so they seem to like engaging in price gouging.

Puls, that same ad would cost me around $250/mth. I can put out 15 signs each weekend for around $15....thats $60/mth. So far I have generated about 15-20 calls each week from the signs.

Once I have done 2 or 3 deals I will bump up my marketing to include ads as well.

Has anyone tried a service such as tenantstream.com for finding tenants? It seems pricey but they claim to prequalify and educate tenants before sending them to you.

Mike P. :D