The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
julesjim

Receiving L/S Calls

Hello everyone,

Simple question today. What should I do for L/S to contact me? Should I get an 800 voicemail number or even a local voicemail number? Or, should I get a cell phone that also has a voicemail? I really don't want people calling my home, seems unprofessional. Do sellers like to talk to a person right away, or is it okay to have a recorded message? Any other ideas would be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Jim

Hi Jim,

I'm about in the same spot you are...for what its worth after talking with a few folks I decided to set up a local voice mail for the time being. That way I won't get calls at my "day job," cell or home.

My thinking is to put a "if you get this message I'm on the phone or in a meeting" type greeting so it will sound like a direct line to my desk.

I used VoiceNation for the service and I can upgrade the service any time I want.

Mike P. :blink:

My preference is to speak with any homeowner as the calls come in. If someone picks up the phone to call me I always work under the assumption they want to speak with me. Sure, there are your tire kickers who you hope lose your number and never call again. But, on the other hand, if a homeowner calls me and receives a recording, what are the chances they are then going to call someone else? Pretty good, I'd say. I'd just as soon they call me, speak live to one another, and have first shot at closing the deal.

Going back and forth playing phone tag wastes time and loses opportunities, in my experience.

My opinion is that I do not like to pick up my cell phone if I do not recognize the number because I like to be ready as I take a tenant buyer call. If they do not want to leave a vm message they were not serious anyway. Also, because of caller ID I can call that number back when I am prepared and see what they needed.

In the best of worlds I would answer the calls myself. However, my law office and other related business situation do not allow for this now.

Sooo...next best thing for me is a recorder that has a message much like my other office does..."If you've reached this message I'm on another line or away from my desk..." I plan to check and return calls often. Hopefully this won't discourage too many folks.

Later on, maybe something different.

Not that I have been getting any calls , but I like the idea of using a service like "VoiceNation" because I am not concerned with missing a call because I was not there to take it. I also set up an "Lease Option Information Line" where callers responding to my newspaper ad can learn about the program I am offering. Again let me be very clear, NO ONE has called after 2 weeks of newspaper ads.

Bill,

Are advertising every day or just in the Sunday edition?

I'm thinking about "bang for the buck." In Sacramento I think most folks read the Sunday ads and tend to buzz past them the rest of the week. If I'm right about that, I wonder if it wouldn't be better to run a larger ad just on Sundays rather than a three-liner every day?

Thoughts any one?

The Legal Eagle

Mr. Pinerton:

I am giving the ad time to run the holidays, realizing that this is the worst time of year for real estate. I am getting hits on the website but so far no bites. The price for a Sunday larger ad would cost for one Sunday what it costs to run the classified ad all month.

Now that I'm finally out of la cocina, let me chime in here.

Bill, you are absolutely correct about this being a slow time of the year. In fact, it is the slowest time of the year. History tells us that between Thanksgiving and around mid January, real estate advertising and activity dries up. Of course, history also tells us that this lull is followed by an increase in activity straight through until the following Fall. Drawing any kind of conclusions based on what may be happening at this time is not going to give you an accurate read of your marketing.

Mike, as for when to advertise, that's a decision based on what type of deals are offered in your local daily newspaper. For example, while in Albuquerque I could advertise on Sundays only. No packages or minimums were required. However, my local paper now doesn't offer that option. I must place any ads in two week or one month intervals only. Much more expensive, but I have no choice. Check with your newspaper to see what they offer.

Of course, history also tells us that this lull is followed by an increase in activity straight through until the following Fall

history also tells us it takes the average person 7 times of seeing your marketing to call. So start in the lull and be pumped and ready to go when the time come...