The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mpine

Referal Fee Legality

Mike,

I was wondering what the laws are about paying for a referal fee? Does that bring it into the realm of being a realtor?

I would like to offer some sort of referal program to people who have my business cards and visit my website. I was told at a recent RE Meeting that it may be illegal to pay someone a fee for locating properties for me.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

:ph34r:

Mike,

The way I read it, there are problems with agents accepting referral fees, not you offering to give them to folks.

Licensed regulated entities such as real estate agents are generally prohibited from accepting referral fees, kick backs or any other unearned fees. But I don't see how you offering or paying referral fees would somehow "bring you into the realm of being a realtor." Heck, you didn't even have to take the test!

I think your RE Club has it upside down...or inside out...depending on your perspective. :)

Mike P. ;)

Sign in to follow this