The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Gary-TX

Marketing, What Really Works?

Without marketing, it is like kissing a girl in the dark with your eyes closed. Well, think about it!

I would like to hear from all of you to share what really works.

What have you tried, and for how long? Did you track it, and what worked best?

Did you do mailouts, postcards, flyers, call newspaper ads, place newspaper ads?

How did you get that motivated seller to call you?

Look at some of the pizza places, and their constant advertising. Their pizza may not be very good, but their marketing got you in the door.

Did you offer a finders fee, contact sellers door to door?

Some marketing method has to work better than other things!!

Lets try to help each other and post your thoughts

Gary-TX

Good idea, Gary. Personally, years ago when I began I was, like most newbies, short on cash and long on needs and desire. My first task was to get a deal done, period. I picked up the phone and called, and called, and called some more. Every FSBO and FRBO I could find. This low tech, old fashioned way was how I got my first few deals and started on my way in a new career.

After a few deals were successfully completed, I could afford to expand my marketing beyond cold calling. I opted for newspaper advertising under the Homes Wanted section. That started to bring me in calls and led to more deals.

From there, I found word of mouth and referrals to be the best advertising and marketing of all. Once you earn a reputation in your community as an honest businessperson and helpful problem solver, the majority of your deals will come from homeowners who have initiated the phone call.

However, let me say this to all the newcomers in our business: that takes time and effort. Before you can build your business you need to lay the foundation. Do not make twenty phone calls, or place one newspaper ad, or stick a dozen bandit signs in the ground and think you are on the way to riches. Do not say to yourself or anyone else that this stuff doesn't work and quit because your first efforts do not put an immediate $5,000 check in your pocket. Be fair to yourself, don't quit on yourself, follow your heart. Avail yourself to the information that is on this site. We'll all help you get that first deal..........rant over........ :)

Gary,

I have heard that dollar for dollar, bandit signs are the best.

I haven't bought any yet, however, other investors tell me this is a real lead generator if you post many in your farm area.

Find 8 sources of leads and do each one a little everyday. Eventually you will figure out which one is bringing the best return on your $$$s

So far we are using the following: website (has generate 3 house leads from sellers, 1 from an investor and 1 from someone who found our "Cash for referral" page), business cards, flyers, word of mouth and phone calls.

Our immediate plan includes adding: bandit signs, car signs, direct mailings and expanding our referral network to include attorneys, realtors and others.

option8

Marketing ideas I am trying:

1. Calling FSBOs

2. Newspaper Ads

3. Postcards

4. Flyers

Do these work?

1. Coupon Mailers

2. Inserting Flyers in Newspapers

3. Leaving Bus Cards in Bathrooms, at Restaurants & other Pub Places

4. Leaving Bus Cards by Cash Register at Liqour Stores

5. Magnetic Signs

6. Bandit Signs or do they project bad image

Well, What do you think?

Gary-TX

Gary, your marketing ideas are all sound, and proven effective. Also, critical to your marketing campaign being successful is to diversify it, just as you seem to be doing. Just remember to give it time to work. Too often, a novice will run an ad for one or two weekends, receive a handful of calls that don't pan out, and declare that newspaper ads don't work.

Or, they will plant a dozen bandit signs, not receive more than a call or two, and decide they don't work, either. With marketing, it is imperative to give your plan time to work. I believe we can say that a good marketing effort will begin to payoff in two months, and possibly longer. Be persistent!

Guest Bobbi

All GREAT idea's!! The one that I have used is letters. My focus has been in foreclosures and I found out quite early that once a home is served with the papers, they begin to get so many letters and so I had to make mine different. First off, I hand write the envelope, then I made sure that my letter has specific references to the person and the address that I am contacting. I didn't make it very long and I was as sincere and showed concern as best as I could in a letter.

It may have taken a little longer but I can't tell you how many people told me that my letter was the only one they had contacted and it was because of what I mentioned above. Hope this helps .. Take Care, Bobbi Lyn

Guest ZigZag91

Regarding bandit signs - I, too, have heard about their effectiveness. I wonder, however, why no one ever uses their "company name" on them. The only thing that distinguishes one from another is the phone number if they all say "We Buy Houses." Same with fliers and postcards, I guess. It seems like a great opportunity for branding, whether your company name is Zero Down Homes or John Doe Properties. If someone sees the name on the side of the road, in the newspaper and on a postcard, it will be reinforced in their mind and probably lead to a better call rate. At least that's what the marketing text books would say.

Am I missing something here? Does anyone know a compelling reason NOT to include a company name on bandit signs (or any other form of marketing)?

The reason you don't usually see company names/logos on bandit signs is because most every community frowns upon them, and has local zoning laws against them. So, those who do use them anyway try a little discretion along the way.

Also, these signs are usually temporary, what with being ripped out, blown away, etc. It makes sense to take a simple approach when having the signs made, and save some dollars in the process.