The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Chris&Kez

double whammy

Hi all,

hope everyone had a great day.

Our landlord is an older gentleman, father of a friend etc etc & just remarried at the tender young age of 75'ishhhhhhh....god luv 'em :):)

When we moved in there was idle chatter about us perhaps purchasing this 2 bedroom 'La Faux Mansion', but we never did anything about it.

Chris has always been a bit reluctant to buy anything right here as it's not what you'd call a champagne area, but close to everything.

But anyway we got mate's rates of 250 pm rent ( other la faux's are currently bringing around 450.) so consequently we're still here .

I have put together some numbers based upon LL's asking price of a whopping $15K.

:unsure: Odd we thought, so called his son who said comps were quite variable and Dad's happy to know someone will just love this house he's owned and tinkered with for the last 25 yrs or so to keep him out of Mom's hair!

OK we thought, here's the deal in brief.

LL will go off with his full $15K plus money for close, we get $7K cash back to add a small deck out the back, new AC, rip up carpets & polish BEAUTIFUL hidden floorboards .

After some research , we find that we can comfortably ask$35-$38K for this lil house, which is in good solid condition anyway. The home has been lived in by both newlywed sons, then one single tenant after that for about 15 yrs before us.

Having said that, we want to move to the country near Daddyo's family, and so I set off to do some research on some land down that way,found some for sale, found a buyer, and will be walking away with a 20 acre lot out of 117 acres as a consulting/marketing payment.

We plan to L/O "La Faux" Mansion' later down the track, and get out into the sticks where we plan to turn a big barn into a home. ( the 5 kids, you know.......)

After banging up a few numbers, and just roughly, our end profit on these 2 deals will be about $55K.

Not bad for an aussie sheila sitting around in fluffy slippers. :lol:

I luv my life!

Kez

Nice story, Kez. I'm happy for ya' :) .

Keep in mind I feel no need for an invitation to your house warming party. I'll just follow the raucous crowds, the burning crocodile steaks on the barbie, and the police sirens to your new place. I'll be the quiet guy in the corner with the Fosters Lager in his hand and the lampshade on his head :unsure::lol: .

Thanks, I am very proud of us !!

and Michael, I was gonna invite you first , I hear the lasagne is pretty good ;) and I will buy you a REAL aussie beer.

I have something I'd like to post regarding my 'aussie' observations, now you mention the croc steaks...it started as 3 lines, but you know me.

My Thoughts about America.

~ by Kez

......... the dunnies ...loo's, potties..........are different, some of the cheese is ORANGE instead of yellow, the prawns are now shrimp, JUMBO ones at that.

You have gators we have crocs, who cares what they are though if you see one or hit it with your new car?

You can't buy a salad roll 'cos everything is a sandwich even if it is on a roll, hot dogs come armed with more than tomato sauce, everything chocky has peanut butter in it, and they say PECAN, NOT PECAN .

MMM, feel like a salad roll now..............

There are no Holden cars, only GMC (?) The same model cars we get look different here, but at least you pronounce Hyundai right!

The real estate agents are realtors, rent houses come standard with washin 'chines n dryers, we don't do that...I like the idea !

and most people don't even have a bloody fence around their backyard.

I just quit sun bakin' :)

I hate folding, but I miss my Hill's Hoist clothes line ( rotary monstrosity, good in the summer with a shade hood atttached though )

...but they won't eat my vegemite ( black tarry, salty stuff you spread on ya toast )

so I get to keep all that, which is great when it costs 3 times more than usual.

I seriousley need a salad roll...............

I miss Milo ( Ovaltine )and I miss my weetbix for breakfast, but the BAGELS with steak and cheese can do more damage to the waistline for 1/2 the price anyway.

Maccas is now Mickey D's but the service is better than in aussie, they dont talk so fast that you cant understand 'em.

I don't miss summer, although 125F Aussie would be a breath of fresh air rather than 90 F & 138% HUMIDITY.

YES! chicken and salad roll ................

The dogs get ticks, the kids get ticks , hubby gets ticks .......... I get ALL the mozzies.

Starting to think Chris takes me to bbq's to keep the mozzies off everyone else!

I wonder if that could pay??????? KACCHINGGGGGGG ;)

Nana's and Poppy's are Meema's and Pappa's, although I still need to tell people I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth and Mum never hired a nanny to help at all.

Nappy's are diapers, serviettes are papertowels, everything fizzy is a coke or a soda..... or something.

BUT theres no shop that doesnt sell a Dr Pepper! mmmmmmmmmmmmm

now I drink too much coffee, eat too many carbs, hide inside in the summer, and have bad hair days between April and February.

Aussie men are mostly bloody arrogant, unlike Americans, perhaps we should ship our male children here for a black belt in manners.America has the world's share of the gentleman it seems.

Some ladies wear FAT hair, most wear lots of makeup..I'm still sweating thinking about summer, no hair n face for me, I'm not presentable after 70F.

How do they do that ? :lol:

Jeez, Im starving now, where's that roll?

Most people don't wear seat belts, kids on bikes never wear a helmet, the education system is EXCELLENT, and moviestars who were once nobody's from 'WoopWoop' via Austria can be Governors!

The rubbish bins are trash cans, rollie tobacca is really cheap,but unless you're looking for a floggin' ( beating ), please DON'T ASK FOR FAGS !!!!! when you go to buy smokes.....and some people are called Bubba and wear overalls like on the movies.

You can "drive thu" for just about anything, the cop cars look sexy ( glad I DON'T drive ) and there's a funny kind of FAT corn they call hominy...don't mind the spelling, it's not like I wanna eat any more of that again anyway.

The bread tastes SWEET and it last for 2 weeks b4 it goes stale...still can't work that out.

There's black people , white people, yella people, you name it.

AHHHH feels like I'm back in Melbourne.

There is church on most channels on tv on most days, & I think I have a crush on some Italian guy on the christain tv network .

Jerry Springer is on twice a day so no need to wait up till 2AM!!!!

I think I have a crush on him too........ :unsure:

There are lots of gay couples here, and it's great to see people are more openminded about almost everything . Now I live in the city my life's education is beginning all over again. I think I might become a Neuro surgeon, college is cheap.

You can hire a lawyer and sue for ANYTHING here, I think I might sue the city for building the footpath....err SIDEWALK too close to my ass.

I like to watch NASCAR and drink a beer, so long as I remember to buy it saturday before the state goes DRY.

VROOOOOOOOOM :)

In Arkansas gambling is illegal, no BINGO, NO lottos, NO scratchies....although I could go to Oaklawn ( Hot Springs , Arkansas ) to the races and get full as a goog ! ( tipsey )

Toothpicks are standard in a restaurant, so is Iced tea, we tip the waitresses....talking of which..... where's my salad roll the service around here stinks............

I luv it here,I love my work, if you could even call it that...I luv you Chris.... and I'm happy as hell....people are friendly, I have precious friends, countryside is GORGEOUS..but I'm always gonna miss a good old "G'day mate" and VB beer .

Kez

Funny stuff, Kerry. :) It's always interesting to view our part of the world through the eyes of someone from their part of the world.

I miss Milo ( Ovaltine )and I miss my weetbix
We have both here.
Aussie men are mostly bloody arrogant, unlike Americans, perhaps we should ship our male children here for a black belt in manners.America has the world's share of the gentleman it seems.
If Aussie men need to take manners lessons from American men, those mates must not be very far along on the evolutionary chart. The typical Florida male, the typical Floridian for that matter, does have manners, it's just that they're all horrible :lol: .
The bread tastes SWEET and it last for 2 weeks b4 it goes stale...still can't work that out.
Yeah, that scares me, too. What's in that stuff that makes it so impermeable to the elements??
You can hire a lawyer and sue for ANYTHING here
HAHAHAHA!! Now that says "America" more than anything :unsure: !

Benvenidos a los Estados Unidos!!

Michael , LMBO.... :) molto bene

I know the aussie men are mostly that way because I also had a black belt in marriage :unsure: or so I thought :lol:

Anyway, "you have mail " my friend:)

take care...

happy Holidays everyone !

K

we plan to turn a big barn into a home

I remember the winter days as a youth mom would always say "close the door, where you raised in a barn". Ohh yeah :lol: , your kids will have issues...

You are right, just the other day I was driving and I let this guy cut me off, I mean cut in front of me. Well he forgot the "thank you wave", so I kindly reminded him with a "hey what about a thank you wave, wave". By golly if he wasn't the nicest guy he waved back that I was number one. :unsure:

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you like what you are hearing, Tony will be performing live on Pay Per View, Sunday, May 2nd, at 9:00PM ET. Consult your local cable provider for details.