The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ShaneMcKenna

On the subject of investing...

What are my options besides real estate when it comes to investing money for retirement? I've always been real good with saving money, but never had I made much on a return. Right now I am only making 1.5% on my money. It isn’t in a cod or anything, it is just a premier checking account (sense I have over a certain amount, they give me 1.5% interest). But that isnt that good at all, is there either a savings account I can switch over to at a higher interest rate, or even get started on some kind of a retirement savings plan with a much higher return? I remember years ago the interest was between 7-11% but I am pretty sure I will not be able to find that. What are my options if I can afford to put $50 a week away into a separate account? I don’t want to get into stocks, and this is something aside from real estate I want to do.

Any information for me I'd appreciate it. I am 19 years old and I want to take advantage of compound interest. But I don’t know where to start.

Thank you, Shane McKenna

Shane,

Ok, I understand you dont want to invest in stocks. For the past three years I've been investing in REITS and Banks. They've performed very well for me.

Just a thought. Have you considered some Government issued securities? If you dont need the money for a while they are safe and last I checked they paid decent returns.

Hope this gives you some kind of idea.

Andrew

What's it take to get set up with an IRA or some kind of a retirement plan? Is that something I can do now? Also what are the returns on the Government securities?

Thanks, Shane

Shane

I'll get some more info for you as soon as I can.

Your local bank should be able to provide you with buying/selling government securities and they should be able to give you interest rates. I'll let you know what I can find out as soon as I can.

Andrew

Sign in to follow this