The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Dannyga

Phone tips

Hi

can any one offer any phone tips to get started for the first time?

Not sure why it is soo hard to get calling. I know "just do it."

What can I do to get myself motivated to call?

Thanks

Dannyga

A couple of things come to mind:

Jump on in!!! They don't bite (they can't - you are on the phone)!

You are offering a service, someone out there needs your your help - believe me!

1. Tell youself (and keep the commitment) you will make 2 call today, 3 tomorrow, 4 the next day...etc You'l get many answering machines - that's fine - leave a message. If you get a call back, you just accomplished #4 below. All of this is positive forward momentum. Before you know it you will be doing 20 -30 calls a day!

2. Make some waste calls first - phone first in an area where you don't want to invest just for the practice.

3. When you find that motivated seller - you'll know it! You'll get a giddy feeling in your stomach because they will answer you questions readily and give every indication that they really need you to buy their house. Just one of these conversations will give you more confidence in your ability to do dials.

Finally,

4.Get some flyers out to generate calls coming into you - You'll know the sellers are motivated before you talk to them. This helps a great deal with making the call back...

happy dialing!!!

option8

Danny, the motivation to succeed at this must come from you. It can't come from anyone here.

I don't think you're lacking motivation but, rather, you are fearful. Afraid of the unknown. This is fairly common among newcomers to our business. In fact, any new venture of importance we face can make us fearful.

Option8's advice was good. There isn't much that can go wrong when speaking to homeowners. If they aren't interested in what you have to offer and say, it doesn't matter how well you say it. You'll get nowhere and be off the phone in sixty seconds. This is good, by the way. I don't mind hearing, "No", early on in the process.

On the other hand, should you have the good fortune of speaking with a homeowner who has a problem and sees you as the solution, they will do most of the speaking anyway.

The bottom line, Danny, is unless you get over your apprehension of making those calls you are stopping yourself from succeeding. Believe me when I tell you that after perhaps a dozen phone calls your comfort level will increase dramatically. It only gets easier as you gain experience.

Hi Everyone,

Really a nice place to visit when you are in this business.

#1 question: When calling fsbo do you get rught to the point after a short introduction and let them know you are an investor?

Reason I ask is because of numerous calls required to make this work, I think it is best to hear no right away and save time and go on to the next call.

# 2- I do want to get there name address for follow ups, so after a brief talk, is it better to get to the yes or no right away?

Thanks ,any replies appreciated.

Tom (IL)

P.S. Just read in tonites paper that used home resales are starting to fall off, maybe good news for us in midwest

Equity, I agree with much of what you wrote. I don't mind hearing "No" when it is early in the process. I'm a believer in getting to the point quickly. I tell the homeowner upfront what I do, and what I'm looking for. If I find I am speaking to someone who has no interest in anything other than a traditional sale, that's fine. I just move on to the next call.

We've all heard this before, but let's hear it again: Each "No" call is one step closer to that "Yes" call we're looking for.

Yes, I saw that in the news yesterday that resales have slowed a bit. (Here in south Florida, though, we continue to set records each and every month. Sales were flat from record levels, and average appreciation from February, 2002 to February, 2003 was 17%.).

Today's paper also noted that new home sales dropped considerably, to levels not seen in two and a half years. Still strong, but not as strong as expected.

Overall, though, a slowing real estate market only helps us as investors.

Hello Danny:

Welcome to the dialing club!!

I agree with Michael that it has to come from within you. My question would first be what motivates you? What is so scarry about phones? For me, it was a lack of knowledge and the fear of rejection..but you know what? Your gonna get it anyways! So I took a kind of 'reverse' attitude. I just told myself that this was just for practice and that no one was going to say 'yes'. Ok, I know it sounds negative, but my feelings are not hurt anymore and neither do I get depressed about it. I have nothing to loose except some time making the calls.

What I first did was look at all the FSBO websites and looked at the properties I think would be a good fit for l/o and then e-mailed the owners. Once I did about 20-30 I started feeling comfortable and then got on the phone. Try first with ads that say 'motivated' or 'need to sell quickly' or something that gives you a clue they might be motivated. Personally, I did just the opposite, I just called people who werent interested just for practice. I also called some FSBO's that I saw around town to balance out the negativity.

After about 10 calls you'll start to feel comfortable. The main thing is to just start calling. Make about 5 calls and then take a short break and then do 5 more and another break and then 5 more, etc. This has helped me quite a bit....maybe it will work for you too!!

Good luck and hope to hear about your 'telephone' war stories soon. :D

Sincerely,

Andrew