The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Marketing tips for a small area

All you people are in cheap markets to advertise in. My penysaver is $171 for a month (3 editions only, all 21 editions is $650/mo) , and my Newspapaer is $150/day, $350/3 days, $900/week. If it weren't for all the investors in Colorado I would consider moving there to make my expenses more reasonable ;-)

Mike

:ph34r:

Doug,

I believe it. The ad I placed yesterday for only two days was $53.00. The ad for the month is $318.00! I kinda feel like BoB Meister now thinking, if I put up 100 bandit signs a week, why do I continue to only buy 200 at a time?

I'm still hard headed I guess.....

Regards,

Adam

Mike, that's the most expensive newspaper I've heard of yet!

Adam, :lol: ain't that the truth! I can see a time in the near future where I'll have to run continuous ads for buyers and investors. But I'd rather not spend $300/mo on an ad if I can help it.

Long Island, New York is not cheap to do anything. MichaelC knows first hand how expensive it is to operate in my neck of the woods.

I will never run another Pennysaver ad again in my area, I spent $750 advertising in 7 editions for a (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, 2 weeks on) month, and recieved zero phone calls. I would rather spend that kind of money on a week in Newsday which will probably get me some sort of return on my investment.

This form of investing is probably not best suited for where I live, but I am sticking with it, waiting for the market to suffer its first decline since the 90's so I can have a shot at making the L/O strategy work. Currently we are in the middle of our second year or 26% appreciation, yes, i said 26% appreciation.

Between weds and thurs I looked at 4 FSBO co-ops, by friday they all had multiple offers. The people were generally nice about what I proposed but felt more comfortable being cashed out completely.

My general rule of thumb is to never look at a place unless I think a deal is possible, the difference in this situation is I am looking to move, so I am using visiting co-ops and houses as a means of learning new areas for living and investing.

Mike

:ph34r:

Those are some insane rates you all are paying. I thought my rates were a little overpriced, but after looking at yours, I was wrong. There is only one newspaper in the county I am working in, and it costs me $120/mo for 4 lines, or $250 for 90 days for 4 lines. And, they give me half price on running the same ads in different sections simultaneously. It actually costs the same to run 4 Sundays as it does to run 30 days. So, I think I will stop complaining now :lol:

Thanks to all for their great input and advice, it is really helping me out.

Mike (UT)

mpine, are you talking about buyer ads or seller ads? I take it from the rest of your post that the Pennysaver ad that got no response was for sellers, right? If so, I can relate. Although we have much more reasonable appreciation rates (about 10% last year) the only sellers who called my ads were looking to be cashed out. They listened to my proposal, but they didn't want a higher price at the expense of being cashed out NOW.

So I've gone back to my tried-and-true strategy of buying conventionally with partners and selling on terms to credit-challenged buyers. With your contacts through your mortgage business I think you'd be able to do the same thing with ease!

Mike (UT), $250 for 90 days! Man that would be nice :lol:

Ah-Ha!

I've gots is made waaay down in da house in Alabama.

It only cost me $5 pa' day in one local papa'. O' course it only come out on Wednesdays an' Saturdays....but some local papa' none-the-less.

Also, when I place an ad in dis papa' it also gits put in da papa in da adjoinin county/area...fo' free! :lol:

And dam straight, Alabama ain't some too way bad o'some place t' hang

Give us some chance.

Lata' peeps,

Jason

Ah-Ha!

I've gots is made waaay down in da house in Alabama.

It only cost me $5 pa' day in one local papa'. O' course it only come out on Wednesdays an' Saturdays....but some local papa' none-the-less.

Also, when I place an ad in dis papa' it also gits put in da papa in da adjoinin county/area...fo' free!  :lol:

And dam straight, Alabama ain't some too way bad o'some place t' hang

Give us some chance.

Lata' peeps,

Jason

What the....?! I don't know what the hell I just read, boy, but it sho' b funny! Now, I gots to put da hounds away fo' da nite, and then I'ma gets to my chair and sippin' some moonshine......mebbe I'll unnerstan what the hell u b writin' 'bouts then!

....and I see you gots a new "Shakin' and Bakin" avatar thang goin' on.....too cool!