The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Andrew Ikeda

New Book recommendation

Donald Trump (the guy we all love to hate!)

Greetings Everyone,

Just finished my reading of D. Trumps' book: "Trump - The Art of the Deal."

Yes, I know it was published in 1987 and it's an old book but I sure got a charge out of it. He and I think a lot alike which is why I guess I like the book. This is in no way related to what I think of the 'apprentice' TV show. After some thinking, I did agree with his decisions on whom he fired and with hiring Bill.

Anyhoo...here are some comments I gleaned from the book:

Think Big!

"I like thinking Big. I always have. To me it's very simple: if you're going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big. Most people think small, because most people are afraid of success, afraid of making decisions, afraid of winning. And that gives people like me a great advantage."

Maximize Your Options

"I always protect myself by being flexible. I never get too attached to one deal or one approach. For starters, I keep a lot of balls in the air, because most deals fall out, no matter how promising they seem at first. In addition, once I've made a deal, I always come up with at least a half dozen approaches to making it work, because anything can happen, even to the best-laid plans."

Use Your Leverage

"The worst thing you can possibly do in a deal is seem desperate to make it. That makes the other guy smell blood, and then you're dead. The best thing you can do is deal from strength, and leverage is the biggest strength you can have. Leverage is having something the other guy wants. Or better yet, needs. Or best of all, simply can't do without."

Ok, now you guys go out there and get the book and enjoy the rest of the excellent info the book contains!! Got my copy at Barns and Noble for $6.99 with tax.

Enjoy!

Andrew

Indeed, that is an interesting read. I remember purchasing it when it went to paperback. I enjoyed it. That was many years ago, though, so many of Trump's words of wisdom have long since faded from my memory. However, rereading what you quoted here tells me I should probably give it another look. Some interesting and insightful stuff............if you can just get past his arrogance and ego.

I particularly enjoyed reading about how he nailed down the purchase of the Mar-a Lago estate in Palm Beach County. Good stuff!

For the last few months I have been scrambling to get back on schedule with my life after being sick most of the winter and having to move within 60 days. I was feeling very much defeated yet optimistic about where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do.

It was very hot out today so I decided it was a great day to pick up a book that would not tell me what to do to make money, but help me reflect on myself before going forward again.

2 weeks ago I was in Borders Books and they had The instant Millionaire by Mark Fisher, and How To Think Like A Millionaire for $4.99 so I picked it up.

Sometimes it is so easy to get lost in the rat race, you just forget about self-reflection... I am very happy and plan on reading As A Man Thinketh next.

Even when life is sucking at its most, there is always this site and all the great people on it to help us all push on.

Best wishes, hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

Mike

:ph34r:

Hey Michael C and Pine!

Thanks for the comments.

MC: yes, his deal with Mar-a-lago was awesome, however, I was more impressed with his dealings with the Trump Tower and the Atlantic City cassinos.

Mpine: Good to hear from you fellow loan officer buddy! Sorry to hear that you were sick. Hope life and health is treating you better!

It would be great to hear a little more about the books you mentioned. Have you completed reading "The instant millionaire" or "How to think like a millionaire"? (I take it these are books you are recommending?)

By the way, I'm now reading Robert Allens' "Multiple Streams of Internet Income" and so far I've read through the first 74 pages and learning a ton! This guys got some 'game' in his info and I can relate with his approaches to marketing stuff on the internet. A further book review and commentary will follow when I complete the book. Stay tuned!

Best to everyone!

Andrew

Andrew,

My health is fantastic now, this year was my first Illness in a good 8 year time period or so, it figures to, this is my first year with no health insurance. Thanks for asking :lol:

I just finished "Instant Millionaire", and it was a great read. It reminded me that I was so busy always working on either loans or real estate deals that I forgot to work on me a little. When you stop having fun it is time to either stop or remember why you got into this in the first place.

To me Instant Millionaire felt like a Robert Kiyosaki book without all the BS (i hope i do not offend any Kiyosaki fans). It is about an old gardener who teaches a young man the secret to riches is outlining your plan, visualizing your plan, and telling yourself your plan out loud daily. There is no "plan" given to you other then to think it, see it, then do it.

If I can make time this week I plan on reading "How to think like a millionaire" or next Sunday while at the Dog Run.

Congrats again on your apartment building... how is the new company working out? If they aren't I am always looking for good loan officers and payout 70% starting and it goes up to 80%.... sorry for the sales pitch, lol...

As for Robert Allen, I have alot of his books, and he does share some valuable ideas along the way of trying to get you to purchase a mentorship or bootcamp. If you enjoy the books do not sign up for the newsletter or anything unless you want phone calls to come in all hours of the day and night pressuring you to sign up. Just a little heads up on that one, I made the mistake of buying his books on special from one his websites.

Have a great weekend.

Mike

:ph34r:

Thanks Michael,

Well, glad to hear your up and running fast again!

Next time I'm at the book store I will look for those books you mentioned. I've still got Trump's new book "How to get rich" and R. Allens' "Multiple streams of income" yet to read in addition to Kiyosaki's "Success Stories".

Thanks for the heads up on Robert Allen's programs. Yes, I made the same mistake of trying to order online and then got a zillion calls. When I told them about my apartment complex deal and how I was structuring it, the sales guy on the other end went silent and I havent heard from them since!! ;)

My plan is to glean all the info I can from the books and my wife and even my sister (lo and behold) tell me that I have enough knowledge now that I dont need any more mentorships...only take action. :lol:

Dude, you hit it right on the head with the need to stop and re-think why we are doing what we are doing!! Thanks for the insight!

Hey, I may take you up on your offer for the loan officer position. As I posted earlier, I'm still new at this company. So far things look good but if things dont pan out, dont be surprised to hear from me (by private email).

Hmm... I so happen to like Kiyosaki's stuff...yea, maybe most if not all of it is BS but I guess I'm suckered into liking it! :o

Take care and we'll chat again soon.

Andrew