The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Guest A.Lewis

TB Problems--Trying to skip out!!!!

Guest A.Lewis

:o I have a tenant/buyer on a LO who is packing up to skip out. Their rent hasn't been late but recent water in the basement has turned them off and since they're "responsible for all repairs" they are now planning on skipping...how do i know??? they told the enxt door neighbor who is a sort of "spy " for me. This TB owes Option money that they signed a promissory note on since they needed 5k to get in and only had 2500 plus 1st months rent to get started. They are now planning on leaving w/o discussing this owed money, won't return calls, etc... My next move is a surprise visit tomorrow. What king of recourse do I have at this point or what steps to take to try to get cash before they roll....

Thanks

Much of the answer lies within the state laws which govern just this sort of issue, and the specifics of your contract.

Generally speaking, the tenant is bound by the terms of the agreement they signed. Say, for example, a tenant signs a 12 month lease agreement for $1,000 per month. For whatever reason, in month three they decide to skip out. Well, you have the right to pursue them for damages. Those damages include the loss of income from the rent you had a right to expect. You would need to mitigate your losses by making an effort to find another suitable tenant as quickly as you could. At that point, then you could detemine the dollar amount of your losses and take the tenant to small claims court to try and win the case and collect your judgement.

What state is the property located in, and does the contract specifically address this issue of tenant default?