The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Putting up signs

I've spent the last 2 days driving around and managed to put up a whopping 18 signs! There just aren't enough poles to legally put them on.

I'm getting really sick of this crap (marketing) ... classifieds are expensive and generate no deals, postcards and flyers generate no calls, signs are illegal or don't last long enough to generate calls, bus stop benches are too expensive, cold calling is horrible ... what else can I try that won't break my bank?

Man....you gotta admit though....putting up bandit signs at 2 in the morning is FUN!

Whether it's 8, 18, or 80.

Maybe it's just me. :rolleyes:

I thought about slapping a few signs on some benches. Then I got to thinking....benches are made to sit in, and if someone is sitting on the bench that I put my signs on, then no one will see my sign. :lol:

Have you bought any magnetic car signs, Doug?

I bought 2 a few months ago, for like....$45+ (or was it $70? Crap, I can't remember)

You won't have to worry about making someone mad, breaking any laws, or running from those headlights you see coming over the hill. :blink::lol:

All it takes is ONE deal, and they've paid for themselves hundred$ (or thou$and$) of times over.

I got mine @ www.witnessdesigns.com

Great people to deal with and I was impressed with the quality and service.

It sounds like you've been having trouble drumming up deals for yourself up in Ontario.

WHY?!

I mean, what gives? ;)

This stuff works anywhere. (May not consistently, but at least a few deals...)

Well, after driving ALL over town and seeing god knows how many bench ads, I never saw a single bench being sat on, LOL! The problem is these things run $129/mo a piece.

Oh I didn't mention the vinyl lettering on the car, sorry. Yup that has generated exactly ... let me check ... ZERO calls as well.

I seriously question whether it really does work here at all. I've never met a successful creative investor here, although I've met many who tried and failed. In fact I've never even heard of a single deal working out. Except one LO I did 4 years go.

What gives? That's what I'd like to know! The few times I've managed to generate a response from sellers and weeded through to get at the motivated ones, they've all chosen to give their houses back to the bank rather than take my solution knowing I'd make some money.

The only thing I can think of that I might have left to try (although I'm not entirely sure how I'll go about marketing it) is to go directly for the throats of the realtors with ads like:

Realtors lie and steal your money

Sell your house with zero commission

Wow Doug...

A few questions for ya...you have me wondering now.

1.) What type of investing have you tried? (sub2s, SLOs, CAs...what?)

2.) From what I've previously read from your posts (in older REI forums, as well as here), you've tried em all, yes? If one method didn't work...you went for another...am I correct? If so, why? Did you give it time?

3.) And when you tried these methods, were you "polished" in speaking with, running #s, dealing with problems sellers may have...etc. etc (specifically to the method in which you wanted to buy)?

Another words, when a seller came to you, did you give clear, consise, and beneficial information to them, without all the "investor talk" and confusion?

I just can't see why things haven't worked out for you, with all this effort and hardly ANY results.

But yet, I hear of others snatching up deals left & right with only a few and focused marketing efforts. :rolleyes:

If you've given things time and effort (which I believe you may have)....have you considered moving? :lol:

Contrary from popular belief, the U.S. ain't that bad :lol:;)

Jason:

1) Yes I've tried them all because none of them worked. The only thing that's worked for me is buying conventionally and selling RTO. But unfortunately I don't have a limitless supply of cash and credit (or investors with same).

2) Well, let's see... SLO, CA, sub2, notes, mobile homes, quick flips -- I think that's all the major areas I've attempted, and that's 6 right? Spread over about 7 years. Of course some of those sort of overlapped (i.e. I've looked for quick retail flips and SLO at the same time, depending on what would work for a particular seller) and some of them I've re-tried with new information.

You'll have to tell me if that's enough time, I think I've probably lost perspective by now!

3) I can think of no higher praise than this: Adam said I'm almost as good on the phone as he is! ;) Hard to believe, but I guess it's possible :lol: And I'm much better in person than over the phone.

LOL, yes I have considered moving to the states. But quite frankly at this point I'm SCARED that it's not the place, that it is just me, and I'll end up with no deals there either :rolleyes:

1) Yes I've tried them all because none of them worked. The only thing that's worked for me is buying conventionally and selling RTO. But unfortunately I don't have a limitless supply of cash and credit (or investors with same).

2) Well, let's see... SLO, CA, sub2, notes, mobile homes, quick flips -- I think that's all the major areas I've attempted, and that's 6 right? Spread over about 7 years. Of course some of those sort of overlapped (i.e. I've looked for quick retail flips and SLO at the same time, depending on what would work for a particular seller) and some of them I've re-tried with new information.

You'll have to tell me if that's enough time, I think I've probably lost perspective by now!

Man, sucks to see you give up because you think none of them worked.

I mean, they should've put warning labels on all those sub2, L/O, & flipping courses...saying this stuff works everywhere but Ontario, Canada.

...or was it the courses and methods????? :rolleyes::lol::lol:

3) I can think of no higher praise than this: Adam said I'm almost as good on the phone as he is!  Hard to believe, but I guess it's possible  And I'm much better in person than over the phone.

Yeah, he's told me that you know your stuff.

If you're half as good as Mr. King over the phone...then maybe you should be working the phones. :blink:

Then again, you could get out and get belly-to-belly and become as good as, if not better than, on the phone.

I'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about or haven't tried and put forth the effort.

It's just well.....I'm perplexed on this one, Doug..... ;)

Doug,

I can think of no higher praise than this: Adam said I'm almost as good on the phone as he is!

I never said that, I said; you're JUST as good over the phone as I am. Big difference. I guess you need to speak up on the next teleconference now huh? :rolleyes:

Regards,

Adam

Jason,

It's just well.....I'm perplexed on this one, Doug.....

I know, I know, it's messed up. I'll keep at it but I don't have too much else I can try!

Adam,

I never said that, I said; you're JUST as good over the phone as I am. Big difference. I guess you need to speak up on the next teleconference now huh?

Oops! I knew it was something like that.

I keep hearing about these teleconferences AFTER the fact! How do I find out about one that's coming up?

I know, I know, it's messed up. I'll keep at it but I don't have too much else I can try!

Don't try .....DO

No one ever got paid by trying . ;)

It's simple, if ya think about it.

It's like saying, "Go and try to do a deal."

I mean, what's "trying"? How can you "try" to do a deal?

Now, substitute the phrase "try to do" with "do".

See the difference? :)

Jason, pardon me if I don't buy that "try" "do" BS.

My old piano teacher used to say that all the time... but one day he TRIED to have sex with one of his female students and now he's DOing time in prison.

I think you need to go to your local REI club meeting and find out how the successful people are doing/getting their deals.

I have found the best way is through referrals. Think about the type of people that would come into contact on a regular basis with people that would be in a situation to be a motivated seller. Then go talk to those people.

Divorce Attorneys

Probate attorneys

Title Company workers

CPAs

etc etc

In all honesty judging by your negative attitude, I can see why you aren't getting any deals.

I think the suggestion to go to your local REI club is a good one.

I understand your discouragement. You have really worked for a long time. I'm not sure where you went wrong....maybe by giving up and moving on to something else too quickly????

If there is a local REI club, I'm sure you'll find successful investors there.

Ryan, I think you need to re-read my post. There is no REI club here. And I can tell you exactly how successful investors are getting their properties: They're buying them cash or with bank financing off the MLS ... just like I've had success doing. But this strategy gets a little bumpy when you run out of partners with cash and credit.

Yeah, referrals, I've done that too. Attorneys, accountants, financial planners, mortgage brokers. They all say one of two things:

1) I don't know anyone in trouble.

2) Why should I help you? Besides I don't know know anyone in trouble.

Besides, I've gone right to the source, talked to sellers who were selling because of divorce, death, illness, jobs loss, transfer, back taxes, high payments, no equity, free and clear, upgrading, downgrading, moving, retiring, tired of renting, tired of owning ... gasp ... still no deals from all of that.

Hey, if you'd had one creative deal in 7 years, you'd be negative too.

Jason,

No one ever got paid by trying .

I got paid several times this week for "trying". ;)

Doug,

Ryan, I think you need to re-read my post. There is no REI club here.

You need to start one then... ;)

Hey, if you'd had one creative deal in 7 years, you'd be negative too.

Man, if I didn't have one in 7 days I'd be pissed, you must have some serious tolerance.. :)

Hey, at least you're still pushing!!!!

Regards,

Adam

Adam,

Ryan, I think you need to re-read my post. There is no REI club here.

You need to start one then...

I did that too. I'm the only one who's still at it, all the other 'investors' tucked tail long ago.