The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
<Steve>

E-mail Flyers to FSBOs

Tom,

I'm not a Realtor, I'm a real estate agent. (Technicality, but still, I don't like being bunched in with the Realtor people...LOL)

I know what you mean though, I've sent countless emails on Craigslist to FSBO's (in the "by owner" section, with no indication of a real estate agency involved in the ad either) only to get replies from Keller Williams, Century21, Re/Max, etc., but screw them, if they want to work with me and make some money then fine (had a ReMax agent call this morning to find out if he could help me find a buyer for one of my houses! can't argue with that!). Otherwise it doesn't really matter either way to me... if they pass the message along, great. If not, I'll be sending the owner a letter when the listing expires :unsure:

Michael,

I wasn't even warned, that's the funny part. He was just like "I saw you sent a lot of emails, are you a company? why are you sending so many emails?" to which I replied "I'm looking for a house I can buy on a lease-purchase, it needs to be 3 bedrooms at least and under $450k, I know a lease purchase isn't a good fit for everyone but since it's the slow time of year I figured maybe some people might be interested". He offered to send me MLS listings of rental properties if I wanted, and said he'd put the messages through. Who knows if he did or not, or what the deal was, but I'm sure I'll know when I check my email tomorrow if any of them got through!

I know this post is old, but I was wondering... If I cannot afford the manual right now would it be a good idea to create a flyer of my own highlighting the Lease Purchase Advantage? I'm sure I wouldn't be able to come up with anything as informative as MC's info, but I would like to have something to send. Also where do you get contracts before you have the manual?? Maybe I should just focus on email marketing now and order the manual in a couple weeks, but I just keep thinking I'm going to get a response and not have anything cool to show them lol ;)

Oh yeah. If you haven't formed an LLC or a corporation yet should you just use your name in the second email? I have a name for my company that I want to use, but I'm not sure if I can say I'm a company if I haven't incorporated yet.

There is nothing wrong with talking with sellers, but my focus would be to scrape up the cash to get the manual. Get the book smarts and "street" smarts. Cover your butt with GOOD agreements then move forward with deals. The Naked agreements have saved me many many times. And like you said, what if next week you have a potential deal and no way to put it together.

Good advice. I've decided to buy the manual on Friday when I get paid. So by next week I'll be up and running hopefully. Thanks again for all the great info here guys.

Think about making some FSBO / FRBO calls in the meantime and just get used to asking sellers questions and stuff. Might as well, and it doesn't take too much knowledge about the details of L/O's to find out if someones open to the idea of renting their house for a while and then selling it. If you happen to get someone who is interested, just be honest if you get asked a question you don't know about. The WORST thing that can happen is you get hung up on (or have to hang up on them), but you'll be learning how to talk to sellers on the phone which is one of the most important skills to develop IMO. I'd guess that most people stumble their way through their first BUNCH of calls (Whether incoming or outgoing) and that's how you learn. Can't hurt to get started making mistakes and stumbling through your first bunch of calls now even before you know all their is to know about L/O's

One of the phrases I've found useful when asked a question I don't know the answer to...or a counteroffer that I need more time to consider is: "Let me check with my partner on that, and I'll get back with you."

One of the phrases I've found useful when asked a question I don't know the answer to...or a counteroffer that I need more time to consider is: "Let me check with my partner on that, and I'll get back with you."

That is a great responce. ^_^ Then you can come back here, the Naked Investor, and check with your partner.