The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums

I've been looking at the sunday paper here since i havent seemed to have many bites on the FSBO ads. What exactly am i looking for as far as finding a motivated ad to make me want to call it? I know the signs to look for if a home owner wants to sell, but not sure about a landlord that wants out.

Golflover

For Rent / Sale is probably the best if not only one.

An out of area/state phone number is another.

On any of the ads, I'd exclude the ones by property companies, call and ask if it's still available. Then just ask them if they'd consider selling the home on a lease purchase. Two minutes or so and you know. If they don't answer, leave a message, those that do call you back are motivated!

For the ads by property mgmt. companies, or signs that you see, note the address and after looking up the owner (plus the owner's mailing address) at the courthouse or online, mail a LPA letter to them. Some landlords only use the property company for time the property is vacant and it needs showing.

Kim

Also, don't always look for those mythical, magical key words that indicate motivation. Many times, a shrewd homeowner and/or investor may place a well written ad to look desperate. This gets the phone ringing and gives the ad writer the opportunity to gather information and make a sales pitch.

On the other hand, a homeowner who doesn't know any better, or perhaps is trying to save money be keeping the ad short and sweet, may be as desperate as a south Florida homeowner in July without air conditioning and mosquito repellent.

But, you'll never know unless you make those calls. Bottom line: never prejudge a homeowner or the ad they wrote. Call 'em all.