The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
nck-mail

Marketing Idea, with my usual concerns

Michael, I have called ads before, but not with your property management company approach. Why I didn't just start doing it the minute I got the manual? I don't know.
A die hard skeptic. Love it! :rolleyes:
......like everyone else, I hate calling ads.
You'll soon be singing a different tune once you start cashing three and five thousand dollar checks several times a month.
So I tried direct mailing and signs and flyers first.
That's fine, too. But you need a balanced diet. Marketing and calling creates the best chance for finding deals.
Quite frankly I'm in shock at how well the script went over!
But why, Doug? We've been talking about it here for a year and a half now. There's a method to my madness. I am not just another pretty face with no brains. Love me for my body if you must. But respect me for my brains. <_<
The tone of the rest of the conversation (with both call 2 and 3) was exactly as you describe, Michael, they saw me as a professional offering them a service at no cost to them.
Indeed! You are providing a service for them at no cost to them. How can they do better? The last investor they spoke with made them an offer 25% below market. Who's gonna get the deal?
Update: Just talked to him, we're set (tentatively) to meet tonight at 6:30pm, unless something happens and he can't get back into town in time.

He's agreed to my numbers:

$164,500, $1,250/mo, $300 rent credit, 2 year term. I'll be going for $4,750 down and give him $1,250 in place of last month's rent that he would normally get if he was renting it out.

So if all goes as expected, you'll have a contract on the property, and a chance to put $3,500 in your pocket for your know how. Not a bad first CA, at all. Keep us posted. I am really pulling for you on this, Doug! Rumor has it your beaver skin cap needs replacing. <_<

The thunderstorms went bye-bye, so we ended up meeting this evening after all!

He didn't sign but... quote: "I'm very interested in what you've said, but I also wasn't born yesterday, I want to talk to my lawyer on Monday and then we can get the ball rolling."

He kept asking the same question over and over: "Are you SURE you can find a buyer?" And I looked around at this 6 year old, crisp, clean perfect starter home, chuckled, and said: "NO PROBLEM."

Also, I'm wondering if anyone else has got this... each seller I've talked to about this has asked if I have a website? Obviously I'm going to have to redesign my site!

Anyway, things look pretty good, I might just have my first CA signed up on Monday! I'll keep you posted :rolleyes:

Also, I'm wondering if anyone else has got this... each seller I've talked to about this has asked if I have a website? Obviously I'm going to have to redesign my site!

I've been asked that, but as I'm pretty new, I don't. I've just responded that we've found most of our leads come from our signs and ads, which is true as far as it goes!

It's something for me to think about in the future.

Kimberly, it seems that these sellers want to see the website for credibility first, information second. It's almost like they're saying: "What kind of business are you if you don't have a website?"

Kimberly, it seems that these sellers want to see the website for credibility first, information second. It's almost like they're saying: "What kind of business are you if you don't have a website?"

Doug,

The last time this came up was after the seller had already signed the contracts, after the signs were up, he called me up and was very apologetic explaining that he was unable to access my web page as shown on my business card. I don't have a website on my business card, it's an email address -- clearly noted!

I explained to him once again that I'm primarily looking for a certain type of buyer, and "we" have found that most of those buyers don't look on the internet, because they KNOW they'll have to qualify for a mortgage NOW in order to get the house. However, just because their credit is bruised or they're new to town doesn't mean they aren't still out driving around town, living life, and taking care of their daily business, when they see my signs it's an answer to their prayers!

I also explain that classified ads are a good source for buyers, since there are so many of the ads in the paper! (Someone, I won't name any names, was here last year teaching how to do this. Personally, I'd prefer him to train YOUR competition in the future! :rolleyes: )

You do have a site. If you removed the line that says "We buy it for you," and added in a "1 year term," then you could refer your sellers to it, explaining you only use it to target tenant/buyers.

Kim

Edited by Kimberly

Kimberly, thanks for the suggestion, I've just eliminated that "we buy it for you" line ... at least until I can redesign the site. I'm wondering whether I should set up a separate site for sellers? It seems most investors use a single site.

LOL that's pretty funny that your seller was trying to "logon" to your email address :) Around here I find that buyers will pile onto the website, qualifying or otherwise. On one house I got about 40 calls, but I got 1,300 hits to my website!

BTW, if you want a site, mine is free all I had to pay for was the domain name ($9 from godaddy.com). My host is doteasy.com.

Doug,

I'm wondering whether I should set up a separate site for sellers? It seems most investors use a single site.

I guess it all depends on how you want to go about "finding" those sellers, and/or if you wanted some information -- LPA, a Q&A page -- easily accessible for them. You could always include a link on the "seller site" to the "buyer site."

On one house I got about 40 calls, but I got 1,300 hits to my website!

WOW! I'm curious, where did the tenant/buyer actually come from the phone or the web?

BTW, if you want a site, mine is free all I had to pay for was the domain name ($9 from godaddy.com). My host is doteasy.com.

Thanks for the tip! Any catches? I didn't see any, but I didn't go all over their site. I had no clue there were any free sites.

Kim

Doug:

Congratulations! Things seem to be looking up for you. Positive Mental Attitude, you have it now..don't loose it. There are a lot of people on this board pulling for you.

I look forward to hearing about your next success story!

Gene

Kimberly, I had 3 serious T/Bs, one of them had been on the website but called for the appointment. Another actually set up the appointment via email, I didn't speak to him at all until he showed up. But the person who got it called only (didn't have internet access). She was the fastest to the plate, and offered 50% more down than I was asking.

If there are any catches, I haven't found them yet. I've had that site for probably about a year. It's fast and I've never had a problem with it. Don't ask me HOW they can offer a free site with no advertising, but they do, somehow.

Gene, thanks so much! Suddenly I feel the same way about sellers as I do about buyers: If one doesn't go for it, there are 10 more waiting in line.

I wish everyone starting out with calling ads could get a hot lead right off the bat, it sure is encouraging :)