The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
option8

Anyone considered buying a used copier?

We are seriously investigating the used copier market. We are exploring demo and expired lease units. Having dealt with capital equipment on leases, I know these units must be out there. In Chicago, Xerox has sales on these a couple times a year.

We are considering this because the cost of copying our marketing materials can get pretty high. Kinko's charges .08 per regular weight page. (I don't know what printing on card stock costs) We could easily spend a couple hundred dollars/month.

Already we have spent at least a hundred on our internal forms and the small amount of flyers we have created to date...call log sheets, property seller interview sheets, I may be in a unique situation in that there are 2 of us, so twice the paper.

Does anyone know anything about used copiers? Any recommendations on features and brands? What monthly duty cycle should we be interested in? (It would be great if it acts as a printer, too. Then we could use it to print out our NOD mailings)

Thanks again to this great group

option8

Are your forms on your computer?

If so, can you just print them out as you need them instead of printing out large quantities ahead of time?

Also, there are many affordable computer printers that are also fax machines, scanners and copiers (and under $200) that can do your copying. These are good if you're not doing mass quantity copies such as making copies of contracts after the blanks have been filled in.

What are you printing that you have such large quantities? Just curious.

Summer

Some of the things we are copying so far:

-Tear off flyers for bulliten boards in the grocer store, laundromat, etc

-Regular flyers -"I buy houses" 300 to 600 at a time (we are putting some college student out with these)

-post cards- for Earn Extra cash and mailings

-Series of 3 letters to NODs

-phone log sheets - 25 lines / form for copying phone #s from web and papers, has

Columns with Date, Location, phone #, Source, Name, notes

-Seller Interview forms: the notes we make on properties that pass prequal script

-Letters to everyone we know announcing our business

-Contents for car survival kit - Seller contracts kit and tenant contracts kit w/ forms for each - offer to purchase, memorandum of option, etc...

(We won't walk into the house with these, however, they must be in the car)

This is only the beginning, but I can imagine running to the copy center to give them $50.00 at a pop. We have a scanner and printer in one office and a multi-function in the other, however, the ink cartridges can be very expensive and mass printing isn't the best use for a $200.00 machine

This isn't something we will do immediately, however we want to do our research just in case we stumble upon a good deal...Part of the proceed of our first deals will pay for this easily.

(Remember, we are doing this full time and for 2 offices)

option8

Wow! You definitely have a lot going on.

Definitely need a copier.

You're an inspiration to all of us.

Have you checked out your newspaper for any auctions?

By me we have a few government labs and they do auctions once or twice a year for their used office furniture and equipment. I purchased a Laser Printer 2 years ago. It needed a good cleaning, but it works perfectly. It was a great $25 dollar investment. They usually advertise in the classifieds.

Summer

Guest Tony

I am in the Chicago area also. I bought a 75 ppm danka w doc feeder, and sorter from a man who sells lease returns. He is off ARmy Trail & 355. Email Brain Swaw @ Rank1chcgo@aol.com his phone # is (630) 889-8402.

I paid 575.00, I had a company in oak forest clean it and tune it up, that cost me about 350.00. The tech told me that the counter was under the actual copies, he knew by certain wear & tear, but over all the machine was in good condition. The teach also told me that the machine goes for about 10K in their stores....

Feel free to call me or email if you have any question, Links and phone on my site www.stopforeclosureinfo.com

Good Luck

Tony

Stop Foreslosure Info

I can't quite remember where you were located but I have a friend in the N.W. suburbs of Chi. that owns a successful office solutions co. and He may be able to help. Just a little FYI, I am not into knocking people or co. But I purchased the HP all in one 5150 for my home office and it did not scan well with font under twelve. Also there customer support was aweful. I got is from Best Buy and they were no better. I won't bore you with the details but if you're interested I would be more than happy to put you in contact.

Hope this help.

Shane

"It's in your moment of decision, that your destiny is shaped."

I know this reply is late, and you may have already solved your problem... But it sounds to me like you are more in need of a laser printer, since most of what you are saying you print is documents saved on your computer. There are several laser printers available on the market now for dirt cheap. I know I saw one at Best Buy (a Samsung, I think around 13-17ppm) for only $169. That includes the toner (which alone costs somewhere around $70). At that price, you can buy several of those for the price of one used copier, which you may run into problems with. You can also probably throw the performance guarantee on there for an extra $20 and use the heck out of it until it breaks and then you'll get a new one :(

I probably sound like a salesman, but I'm just expressing my ideas as to what makes business sense.

Sign in to follow this