The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

There's always a jerk in the crowd

It's been mentioned many times here that when you're calling ads most of the people are really nice whether they're interested or not. But there's always one jerk in the crowd which I just experienced in this evening's batch of calls.

Perhaps telling him to go *&^#$ himself wasn't the best sign-off, but I think I made my point :)

Doug,

You should post his number so we can all get told off. It's been a while for me, plus it sounds like this guy could use some company. :)

Regards,

Adam

Where's that "jack-ass" post when you need it? That's one of the funniest things ever written! :)

That would be here.

And don't sweat the occasional idiot, by the way. It happens to all of us. I almost look forward to it when it happens now. Have fun with it when it does.

Michael, ahhh thank you! I've added it to my favorites now :)

Next time I get one of these people I think I'll say this:

"You know, one of the best things about this business is that when I run into someone who, for one reason or another, rubs me the wrong way, I can do this..." (click)

BTW I'm starting to really enjoy the "no's" when I ask if they're interested in doing a lease purchase. It makes it so easy to cruise through the ads screening out and/or making a follow-up list!

Doug,

I joined the club today. Some lady had me call her back (FSBO) so I could explain what I did. Once she found out I was even remotely interested in buying her house, she said she wasn't interested in selling. She said she wanted to hold it for her kids etc, etc. I asked her if she....bam, no thanks and hung up.

I called back....I always do... :wacko:

Pack your bags lady; we're going on a guilt trip.

I left a really cheesy message on how hanging up on people wasn't a good idea when they were just trying to give free professional advice. I told her that I appreciated her time and if I came across someone for her "rental", then I would send them her way because I truly care about helping people in my business.

I hope that straightened out her little red wagon. :lol:

Regards,

Adam

LOL, it's always nice to know you're not alone :wacko:

I thought about saying to this guy that attacking me isn't going to help him, I'm offering him a free service to make more money, if he doesn't want that, just say so! No need to make it personal.

But I guess it's really just a waste of time anyway, there are far too many people to call to get worked up over one idiot.

Print out on a piece of paper in large font NEXT!

Put it where ever you make your phone calls from so you can see it clearly.

~Mr.B

I asked her if she....bam, no thanks and hung up.

I called back....I always do... <_<

Pack your bags lady; we're going on a guilt trip.

Why bother? It seems like a gross waste of time to me. Call the next number.

Sold!

Sold,

When the lady finally does decide to sell the "rental" she "advertised for sale" and can't find a buyer, who do you think she'll call? I'd bet on Adam.

He does a tremendous number various kinds of deals on a regular basis. I figure he's gotta be doing something right.

Kim

Print out on a piece of paper in large font NEXT!

Put it where ever you make your phone calls from so you can see it clearly.

That was great.

Sold,

I agree, it does seem like a waste of time, (And it actually is) but sometimes it's necessary to blow off some steam, kind of like posting on this site. <_<

Regards,

Adam

Guest Jim FL

Doug and others,

I understand this thread is about venting sort of.

I was wondering though, it seems cold calls are frustrating you, and getting a whole lot of "no's".

If this is the case, then why keep doing them?

Granted, I've personally bought a few houses with this, but frankly, not very often.

One thing does hold true of the houses I've purchased after cold calling the sellers from their advertising though.

EVERY SINGLE one did not answer the phone.

I left a message on voicemail or answering machines.

Something short and sweet.

"Yes, I noticed your house for sale at such and such address. I am looking to buy some houses in that neighborhood, and just wanted to let you know, if you are seeking a FAST SALE on your house, I would love to talk to you. You can reach me at 555-555-5555 anytime. Either way, good luck with the sale of your house."

When sellers call back, they already know I'm looking to buy more than one house, proivided the pay attention to the message left, and this means I am NOT an owner occupant.

In addition, I've made it clear, I want to, and CAN close FAST!

So, when they call, more than likely, they are motivated to some extent.

Honestly though, I HATE cold calls, and only do them if I see a FSBO needing help........as in been on the market for a LONG time, and maintenance or upkeep the the home has declined during that time frame.

A good sign the seller needs help.

Other than that, it is just easier when sellers call you.

One other point I noticed in this thread and others, how are you folks pitching the lease option?

It sounds like several people are just blurting out, "Sellers, would you be interested in lease optioning your house?"

That don't work, plain and simple.

Not to tread on Mike's board here, he has good info and a nice product from what I see.

Just reaching out a bit to discuss REI on a nice neutral website.

Take care, and hope all is well,

Jim FL

Hey Jim FL,

I agree with you a lot on the cold calling thing... and I find messages get me a much higher posative response rate, I am tempted to hang up on live people and call back earlier in the day ;-). I usually try to make my calls between 11am-1pm.

I guess the thing about calling at all is Dialing for Dollars... a quick remedy when your cash poor.

Mike

One other point I noticed in this thread and others, how are you folks pitching the lease option?

Thats because this site and his course are focused on Lease Optioning houses. Thats why you don't see a Rehabbers Forum on this site.

It sounds like several people are just blurting out, "Sellers, would you be interested in lease optioning your house?"

That don't work, plain and simple.

It may not work for you, but it works great for others:

http://www.naked-investor.com/forums/index...?showtopic=2308

Not to tread on Mike's board here, he has good info and a nice product from what I see.

Just reaching out a bit to discuss REI on a nice neutral website.

Actually you are treading on Mikes board and while I'm sure no one minds you discussing what works or doesn't work for you, it would be irresponsible to say that calling FSBO and FRBO doesn't work, plain and simple. I also wouldn't exactly call this a neutral REI board, again you won't find much info on rehabbing houses here or other kinds of REI thats not some how related to Lease Optioning.

~Mr.B

Jim FL:

Welcome to the Naked Investor. Stick around awhile and you will find out what we do and how we do it. You will find that the people on this board are making a lot of deals happen. What is so exciting is that most of us are new to lease purchasing. I have been on several other boards and have not seen a greater newbie success rate. Not everyone on this board follows Michaels methods exactly, but we all learn from each other.

I respect your opinions, but I have to disagree. I desperately looked for other ways to make things happen for me, but nothing did until I picked up the phone and started making cold (warm) calls. Admittedly, I don't have the experience that you do (Are you the Biker who buys houses?). However, I am in the middle of my second deal and I have made (Michael, cover your ears) less than 100 calls. I purposely call when I think sellers will be home. I need the experience talking to sellers. What do I say to sellers? "Hi, I saw your ad in the paper, and I was wondering if you would be interested in selling your home on a Lease Purchase."

Not rocket science, but it works. You see, I am a part timer and I don't have a lot of time or money for marketing. Right now, this works for me and I am sticking to it!

Hoping you hang around,

Gene