The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Lydia

Best ads to attract sellers

I just ran a classified ad and had disappointing results.

What has been your BEST newspaper ad, which paper did you run it in (freebie or regular paper?), and under what listing in the classifieds. Also, what about display ads?

Lydia,

I haven't run an ad, just called fsbo/frbo ads/signs. I also have some word-of-mouth type advertising out there. But one thing you might want to keep in mind is that those "I Buy Houses" ads run day after day, week after week. Regardless of what your ad says it is more than likely going to have to be in there for a while, same exact wording, BEFORE you start getting calls from it.

Kim

Lydia,

In Michaels manual he tells you what ad to run.

"Family need lease with purchase option in good area....458-5555.....

Also I run a display ad every week. It never comes out of the paper.

Pete

My ad read "Family needs home to lease with option to buy. Call xxx-xxxx"

Ran Sunday only in the paper, a week online. Ran in the "Area 1, Homes for Sale" which is the area where I prefer to work. The BIG paper, The Tennesseean. Cost about $44. Costs $115 for a week.

I'm checking into running a display ad in some of the free papers, and also a free local parenting magazine.

About 12-15 people run "I buy houses" ads in the Tennesseean under "Real Estate Wanted".

I'm still following up on some of my old radio leads. I've talked to some other investors who are just now doing deals on leads they got a year ago. Follow-up seems to be crucial.

My ad read "Family needs home to lease with option to buy. Call xxx-xxxx"

Ran Sunday only in the paper, a week online. Ran in the "Area 1, Homes for Sale" which is the area where I prefer to work. The BIG paper, The Tennesseean. Cost about $44. Costs $115 for a week.

I'm checking into running a display ad in some of the free papers, and also a free local parenting magazine.

About 12-15 people run "I buy houses" ads in the Tennesseean under "Real Estate Wanted".

I'm still following up on some of my old radio leads. I've talked to some other investors who are just now doing deals on leads they got a year ago. Follow-up seems to be crucial.

One week isn't long enough to say it's not working. It will have to be in there for a while. How long have those 12-15 who're running ads been in your paper?

If you have a "RE Wanted section" , "Wanted-Homes to Buy"or something similar in your paper, that's where I'd suggest you run your ad. Run your ad in the same section as those other 12-15. That section has already proven to pull calls. Figure out how to get your ad at the top of the list. Even if you get calls from areas you don't want to work in, you can flip it to another investor and make something from it. I doubt people wanting to sell are reading the "homes for sale" sections. They'll skip right to the who's wanting to buy.

Follow up on all of your old radio leads. If the radio was bringing in leads, is that something you'd want to try again? I'd imagine that's fairly expensive as well.

Kim

Lydia, Kim is correct. Running an ad for only a weekend or even a week is simply not giving yourself the chance to succeed. Your marketing needs to be consistently in place, and it needs to be diversified. Daily paper, weekly papers, signs, flyers, billboards, etc.

Why not run an ad that says something like......"I have tons of buyers for quality homes in nice neighborhoods." (?)

I believe you'll get lots of calls from motivated sellers and not-so motivated sellers, too.

sold !

"I have tons of buyers for quality homes in nice neighborhoods."

Be careful, that's awfully close to putting buyers and sellers together, which is what realtors do.

"I have tons of buyers for quality homes in nice neighborhoods."

Be careful, that's awfully close to putting buyers and sellers together, which is what realtors do.

Perhaps. But if you are acting as a principal, ie, say you have a Pure Option on the property, you may be close, but you haven't crossed the line........in my opinion.

I agree with Michael's viewpoint, that as long as you have an option with your name on it, you are a principal and therefore are NOT acting as a broker.

Keep in mind that to be a broker you must buy or sell "for another". Even when you're bringing buyers and sellers together in a pure or lease option, you aren't doing it "for" either of them, you're representing only yourself.