The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Mr.B

Working Out of Your Home?

If you're working from a home office there is a service that most phone companies offer called distinctive ring, or something along those lines. This is basically a second phone number that the phone company will issue you that will do a double ring to let you know someone is calling in on that second phone number.

For those looking to save some money on your phone bill this is a really nice service. Its cheaper than having a second separate phone line and you will know when to answer as your company or as you normally would your personal phone. My phone company is charging me 2.50 a month for this service, a large savings over having a completely separate line. I know for some of you with teenage children or overly talkative spouses a second line is necessary, but the rest of you guys may want to check it out.

~Mr.B

Another nice thing about distinctive ring is that many fax machines and fax modems can recognize it, so you can have a separate fax number without the cost of a separate line.

I would suggest getting a 2nd phone line. The last thing you want is your child picking up the phone at the same time you do. You want to present the image that you are in a nice corporate office. In fact I use my cell number for everything that way no one picks up the phone but me. Also, I never pick up the line unless I recognize the number. I never want to get caught unprepared with a phone call I was not ready for. That is why we have voicemail! If someone does not leave a voicemail message then I simply call the number back in a few minutes.

Pete

I think I mentioned that in my post. If your kids are a problem then thats a different story. Mine don't answer the phone.

~Mr.B

My phone co. charges like $5.95 for a second, but I have a toll free number which I think I will retire when I finish with this set of 500 b-signs. the number is traceable back to me, time to make in untraceable......

I have a second line, which is a dedicated fax line, and I also have a Ringmaster number on my main line, which is the number I use for business. My kids are old enough to know not to answer when it is the "double ring"

My second line is my fax and modem. I, too, use my cell phone for business and never answer calls unless I recognize the number, like Pete. I don't want to stutter and stammer and seem unprepared when a call comes in. Benn using it for busines like this for years. B)

Should use internet phone if it's in your area.

The price is the same every month and you have long distance.

Some company have you can take it on the road with you and check your messages online.

You also can have it direct it to other phone when you need to.

Something to think about.

Dean

B)

Thanks Dean,

I have heard of internet phone, but I'm not sure how it works or if it would be available in my small town.

~Mr.B

Tony,

I use Vonage for my business, I signed up for the business plan, it is $56/mo and comes with a fax line that I use as a second phone since I have an Jfax.

I have been using them since I started doing mortgages about 3 years ago, and besides a few minor glitches it. Even with glitches its a more pleasant experiance then Verizon.

Free month of Vonage

Mike

:ph34r:

I lost my number also, on the positive side... no telemarketers call me at my new number ;)

Vonage