The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
enero2k

Taxes and Insurance

When you sign up a L/O to take over a sellers payments, are you taking over the insurance and property taxes too? Or are you just taking over the portion of the sellers monthly payment having to do with P and I? And if so, how do you determine the amount if the taxes and insurance are combined into one monthly payment by the mortgage company?

You are attempting to negotiate the best deal you can, one that is fair and agreeable by both parties. If it is exactly what the homeowner pays every month, that's fine. If the owner's monthly payment is well below the market rent, I'm not opposed to paying him more. And if the owner's payment is well above the market rent, I'm not hesitant to inform him he's got a problem.

The deciding factor for me is the amount I can expect to receive from the tenant/buyer, and the deal as a whole. I'll readily accept a break even cash flow, for example, if I'm getting three years with nothing down, and a potential back end profit of, say, $35K.