The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
-Tony-

Fare Well Andrew Ikeda

Andrew, todays bumps in the road are tomorrows opportunities.

I'm sure our paths will cross again. Stay in touch.

<S>

Yeah, hope to talk soon.

Take care buddy.

Ok, I'm lost. :blink:

Where's he going?

What's going on?

...seriously.

I have not posted this but for about 3 months now, I have not been active in the mortgage business and two weeks ago I officially resigned.

This year has not been a very good one for me. Without going into too much detail, my wife is unhappy with the events that have been going on this summer and threatened to leave me.

In order to save my marriage and stop our financial bleeding and get back on track financially, we are going back to South Korea this Wednesday for another 2-10 years.

This is in no way meant to draw sympathy. Like I mentioned in the letter to Greg and Brian, I take full responsibility and accountability for my actions. I'm not sure where I went wrong but the closest 'honest' answer I could give myself is that I dont have enough passion for this business.

For the time being, I will not be pursuing real estate investing or the mortgage business. I will hang around from time to time and see how you all are doing and I'll answer any questions to the best of my ability.

The above quote was taken from Andrew's post here.

Andrew,

Best wishes to you and your wife, it was good talking to you.

Mike

Ok.

I see now.

I had actually received a response from a PM I had sent him.

He mentioned briefly about the same thing you posted above.

I kinda figured the 2 were tied together. I just didn't wanna mention anything he sent publicly.

Things'll pick up for him, I'm sure.

Hope everything all goes well for him and his family.

Take care Andrew.

Jason

Ok.

I see now.

I had actually received a response from a PM I had sent him.

He mentioned briefly about the same thing you posted above.

Not too long ago there was also a not so very pretty post here on the board in refrence to Andrew's previous post from a person expressing his opinion about the whole thing, the post was deleted of course and then I saw Andrew's kind reply above :lol:

Things happen and life goes on

Hope to see u back on the board again soon Andrew!

Andrew,

Dude, let me know if you want to sell some house in Korea?

But seriously, I understand and wish the very best for you and your family. I know you'll keep us posted here and there right?

Very warm regards,

Adam

Greetings Everyone!

I'm speechless! Thank you all so very much for the kind words and encouragement. I never thought to see a post like this! Again, my heart felt thanks to all of you.

We arrived here about 5 days ago. The flight here was very good and we spent a good portion of our time cleaning up the apartment. Our term starts tomorrow and I have a fairly easy schedule (7 hours/day).

Since I've been here, I really miss investing and being involved in it. That includes stock market investing as well as real estate but not so much the loan business. For now, I'm taking a break from it all but I know sometime down the road I'll be back for more real estate investing...just a matter of when.

Korean real estate is different from the states. They dont have the standard mortgages like we do...well, they do but it's not popular or done much. They have what is called a "Jonseh" like "John say" system in which a person puts down $20,000 for the house to the owner who then puts it into a bank and earns money off the interest. The deed still stays in the owners hands but the $20,000 is refundable to the tenant/buyer if and when they decide to move out. The balance of the sales price is done through the bank. Working couples can pay off the loan in about 2-6 years (believe it or not!)

Here in Seoul, it is very expensive. My brother and sister in law put down about $90,000 for their apartment which was sold for $130,000. In two years they paid off the apartment their in now (the $40,000 balance). Should they decide to move, they will also get back the $90,000 in addition to the $40,000.

They are not into creative real estate like we are in the States.

Earlier today we saw that owners are requiring less of a downpayment because the interest rates have fallen here too. So now they are cash hungry and require less down but a higher monthly payment to make up for it and to get the cash.

Thanks again everyone for your kindness and friendship! I will be back from time to time to see how things are going and answer any questions if possible.

Best to everyone!!

Andrew

Andrew,

I have to chime in here...although a little late.

As you have already found out, you gotta follow your heart. If it's saying something other than real estate right now, that's what you have to go with. You probably aren't, but don't fall into beating yourself up over not 'succedding' at the real estate or investing thing...you know it's better to have tried and failed than not to have tried at all. What you do for a living or what you accomplish are not what makes you who you are...who you are makes you who you are. If investing and real estate are really part of who you are, they will come around eventually, and pop back up somewhere down the road where you least expect it and you'll make gobs of money in the process.

Kudos to you my friend and all the best.