The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JCannon

Faxing A Contract

If I were to send a contract via fax to be signed, the seller signs it, and then sends it back to me to sign, would it be a legal and binding contract? The seller's contract would be a copy of course and mine an original.

It doesn't seem so, but it would cut out some significant drive time on some possible deals I have in the works.

J,

I have done several deals (LO/CA) without ever even meeting the seller before putting the house under contract. The fax is a great way to go. Email is even better because (Like most faxes) you can show/save proof of delivery and its contents.

Check your state laws, you sometimes may be better off by putting something in the agreement that shows that copies are just as binding as originals. (Power of attorney etc)

Also, the only time we ever truly need originals in this business, is when we are transferring title in some way. Title companies ALWAYS want originals so there's no doubt that a conveyance is true.

Hope that helps,

Adam

Sign in to follow this