The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Golflover

2nd Phone Line

I called my phone company today to ask about the 2nd phone line for a fax. Its the one we've talked about in the past threads about a distintive ring. From what they have told me, in order to use that 2nd line as a fax, i would need to physically be here to hit the fax button. Now i know that $3 a month extra isnt much, but it sure would add up after time. Whats the pros of having a 2nd line? I live alone so its not like a teenager is going to pick up the phone. Thanks for the feedback.

I just have a second phone line strictly for the fax. I pay $82.00 a month for both of them. I can call anywhere in the US unlimited and for free.

Regards,

Adam

PS In this business you'll be sending a lot more than you'll be receiving.

thanks Adam,

I'm thinking im going to go ahead and get it set up and use the 2nd line as my business number and my home phone as my fax since i didnt think i would be receiving too many anyhow...and the faxes that im going to get, chances are i know they are going to be coming my way anyhow

From what they have told me, in order to use that 2nd line as a fax, i would need to physically be here to hit the fax button.....

Your fax machine should have a fax/telephone mode where you don't have to be physically there to answer a fax. A company called ACN offers unlimited calling throughout the USA including the addition of a 2nd line for fax only. Price for services depend on where you are located. I can definitely help you out with this (if you're interested) as I have a professional relationship wth the company. Let me know and good luck.

Alan,

Thanks for the info, but i've decided to just use it as a business #. As Adam said, we wont be getting many faxes and the ones that we should get, i should be home to receive it anyhow

I have heard there is a switch you can purchase which senses the tone and switches to the FAX. It plugs in front of the fax line plug. As I recall when I last priced it it wasn't cheap.

I've got to make a FAX decision shortly to.

The phone company is usually talking about the person that is calling needs to hit a button to send the fax. It would either go to your voice mail, or they could hit say "7 or "send" to send a fax. They hit the button and then the fax is sent.

My opinion? It's more professional to have a seperate line with a real fax number. I don't even use the phone on my fax number. (Because people ALWAYS call back!)

Also, what the heck do you think you should be doing with all of that left over money from your deals and investments? Pay taxes with it? WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Just MY two cents...tax free of course. :blink:

Adam

Golflover:

Invest your money on a Panasonic Fax/Phone. This is what I use. It has answering machine and fax. If you answer the phone and you know that it is a fax, you can always hit the button. The best part, if you are not there (or don't want to answer the phone), when the phone rings, it will either do the answering or receive the fax. It is automatic. If it detects that it is a Fax, the phone will switch into a fax machine right away.

I think Adam summed it up best when he said

It's more professional to have a seperate line with a real fax number.
I concur. My fee for a second line is also about $8.50/mo. Not even worth haggling over. And the cost of fax machines has gone way down, as they are considered dinosaurs in the world of high tech these days.

Whatever you do decide on, you really should have one for the sake of convenience. You don't want to be running to Kinkos every time you need access to a fax machine.

I think Adam summed it up best when he said
It's more professional to have a seperate line with a real fax number.
I concur. My fee for a second line is also about $8.50/mo. Not even worth haggling over. And the cost of fax machines has gone way down, as they are considered dinosaurs in the world of high tech these days.

Whatever you do decide on, you really should have one for the sake of convenience. You don't want to be running to Kinkos every time you need access to a fax machine.

Talking about high tech....

Has anyone thought about a efax #? I have a few free ones and one paid one. The free ones are not local #'s, however, the paid ones are.... Goes directly to your email..You can also send via your CPU as well.

Akin

I have the e-fax as well. I like it so far; pdf files sent directly to me email. It is an out of state number and I obviously can't send on that number, but no one seems to mind.

Hi All

You can buy a switcher box you hook up to your phone line and it detects if it's fax or voice even computer if you are still useing dial up.

I seen them in staple office supply store for under $100.00

Good luck

Dean :lol:

I use Vonage Business service, it gives me 2 phone lines for $54/mo... never a penny more. If you sign up now you can get 1 line for $24.99 and a second line for faxing for $10/mo.

In the 4 years I am using Vonage I have never had a problem, I even dropped overpriced Verizon.

If you use my link you also have the added benefit of 1 free months service.

Mike