The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
BEV!

Taking It To The Next Level

I've gotten good at what I do (CA's) so now is time to take it to the next level and start the legal, tax issues of the biz ;)

If someone here can point me to the right direction as to what would be the next step in getting all the stuff needed to play it safe with this biz

- Biz Name

- LLC (is this necessary?)

- Anything Else?

What I REALLY want is a sorta like a "Consultant" that can do everything for me (tax consultation, biz consultation, take care of EVERYTHING for me biz-wise etc...) preferably local.

Would this be a tax Consultant that I'm looking for or Biz Consultant or what? :wacko:

Any and all advice on this matter is extremely appreciated ;)

Bev, as you already know, this is not a "one size fits all" issue. So many factors come into play. Your location, your personal situation, etc.

Some generalities can be considered, though. You definitely want something to be in between your personal assets and liablities and your business activities. In the event something goes wrong you don't want your name/signature on any documents. An LLC is good for this. Info on LLC's in California can be found here.

Another suggestion is to speak with a few experienced professionals in the areas you need help. A CPA, or perhaps a tax attorney. Maybe an attorney who specializes in asset protection.

...In the event something goes wrong you don't want your name/signature on any documents.  An LLC is good for this.  Info on LLC's in California can be found here
That's exactly what I was looking for.. thanx - So when I do get the LLC, will this replace my signatures on all my agreements with the Builders/Sellers (lease agreement/option2purchase/etc???

I'm searching my HUGE network database of partners I have online to hand-pick my team, this should take me a while :blink:

Thanks

Bev, with your LLC in place, your agreements should be signed in this format:

Wheatgrass LLC, Bev Bodacious, Manager.

But, again, there is more to asset protection and covering your butt that I can tell you here. Locally is where the answers will be found, because state laws come into play here.

LLC in California has a minimum annual tax of $800  :lol: !!!! Is there a way around this  :blush: ?

Ah, yes! One of the many "benefits" of residing in the Golden State. ;)

I know any number of investors out your way with LLC's in place. And all have to pay the piper to that tune of $800. Is there a way around it? Vote out the politicians who dare to pass such legislation. <_<

Hey, Bevster...

Michael and others have brought up some excellent points, but since you and I are in the same state, Bevy, I thought I'd throw in my $.02 as I'm in the process right now of doing research for my own entity formation.

Biz Name
LLC (is this necessary?)

When you go to form an entity (such as a corporation, limited partnership, or, in this case, a Limited Liability Company), you will asked which entity you want to form (of the 3 above), then you'll be asked to submit 3 choices for a Doing Business As (DBA) by the Secretary of State's Name Availability Unit in Sacramento.

You definitely want something to be in between your personal assets and liablities and your business activities. In the event something goes wrong you don't want your name/signature on any documents. An LLC is good for this.

Don't do business as yourself and tempt fate any longer than you humanly have to, Bev. Pardon the expression, but you're taking a big risk in doing so as you can get sued down to your underwear. On the heels of Michael's statement, you want to be as poor and penniless as possible on paper to avoid being targeted by lawyers and predators should something go sideways on you. I have it on excellent authority that sole proprietorships, general partnerships and joint ventures are BAD entities in terms of asset/personal liability protection should you get sued...stay away from them as they offer none.

Bev, with your LLC in place, your agreements should be signed in this format: Wheatgrass LLC, Bev Bodacious, Manager.

Exactly.

LLC in California has a minimum annual tax of $800  :D  !!!!

You got it, Toyota.

Is there a way around this  :angry:  ?

None that I know of. Not yet, anyway. Except:

Vote out the politicians who dare to pass such legislation.  :rolleyes: 

And we have way more than our fair share of those here in the Golden State! :angry:

Hope this helps ya, Bevster! :blink:

Hey, Bevster...LLC in California has a minimum annual tax of $800  :angry:  !!!!

You got it, Toyota.

Yep! I can not put a price when it comes down to protecting myself...

$800 is really nothing if it means "can't touch this".. I'm willing to pay a lot more if it need be it :rolleyes:

Thanks CalRick, very valuable information.

I'm taking notes of your $.02 :angry: