The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
BEV!

Wine Experts...plz Help

Anybody a wine expert here? If so, please help me with deciding the following.. :unsure:

- I have heard of wine going together with some type of cheez and stuff like that (maybe I'm wrong but if I'm right, what cheez and wine do go great together for dinner?)

- Also, which is the BEST wine available out there that would go great with sea food? And where can I get such wine? (safeway? or where?) plz be specific with name of wine and whatever else I need to know to get the right one :lol:

Awaiting for a reply :P

Thank You!

(time goes by...)

Anybody a wine expert here? If so, please help me with deciding the following.. :unsure:

- I have heard of wine going together with some type of cheez and stuff like that (maybe I'm wrong but if I'm right, what cheez and wine do go great together for dinner?)

- Also, which is the BEST wine available out there that would go great with sea food? And where can I get such wine? (safeway? or where?) plz be specific with name of wine and whatever else I need to know to get the right one  :lol:

Awaiting for a reply  :P

Thank You!

(time goes by...)

Bev:

As for cheese, there is nothing better than baked brie and a good French bread. Gouda is another favorite.

A wine connoisseur I am not. However, I have never been shy about giving my opinion.

I don't pay much attention to the wine freaks who say you have to drink a specific wine with a certain type of food. I drink what tastes good. If you like a red but don’t want something heavy like a merlot, try a Beaujolais. However, Michael will surely tell you to choose a Chianti. A good white is Fume Blanc or Sauvignon Blanc. You may want to try a Johannesburg Riesling; my mom raves over a good one.

The best thing to do is forget everything I just wrote. Go to a good wine store or better yet Costco if you have a membership. There should be a wine guy or girl that will answer all your questions and knows a whole lot more than most people. There is actually a name for these people, but I can't for the life of me remember what. Too much scotch on a Friday night I guess.

Gene

p.s. Bev, stay wit the wheat germ.

As for cheese, there is nothing better than baked brie and a good French bread.  Gouda is another favorite.
Gene, where do u think I can find these cheezez at?
I drink what tastes good. 

Wine tastes good? :P

If you like a red but don’t want something heavy like a merlot, try a Beaujolais.  However, Michael will surely tell you to choose a Chianti.   A good white is Fume Blanc or Sauvignon Blanc. You may want to try a Johannesburg Riesling; my mom raves over a good one.
Are any of these puppies "French Wine?"

The best thing to do is forget everything I just wrote.

Okay, forgotten :lol:

Go to a good wine store or better yet Costco if you have a membership.
I have never seen bottles at costco before... hmmm :unsure:
There is actually a name for these people, but I can't for the life of me remember what.
They're probably called employees perhaps? :lol:

p.s.  Bev, stay wit the wheat germ.

Oh, Noooo!! The wine is not for me (I'm 100% non-alco :lol: )... I'm cooking a surprise candle-light dinner for Valentine's day and want the BEST FRENCH wine available for my valentine's date :P

Someone sent me a link to a Winerie In Napa, CA (just few minutes from me) I wonder if this is of any help to me.

Thanks Gene.. I have plenty of time to plan my perfect gift ;)

Hey Bev. Up until about a month ago, I was a bartender so I'll give you my two cents. If your interested in French wines (I'm assuming that you mean made from popular french grapes and not necessarily imported from France), a chardonay (dry, white wine) should go well with seafood. Riesling is another option (light, semi-sweet white wine. I like Columbia Crest, Chateau Ste. Michelle, and Fetzer to name a few).

There's a ton of options depending on what you want to spend, but here's a few that I like that don't cost a ton. Kendal-Jackson is a very popular choice that has nice oaky overtones. Amberhill is another one that I like. Both are from CA if I remember right. You should be able to find them for around $12 a bottle. Fetzer and Chateau Ste. Michelle are some other brands that I think are a really good value. Generally white wines go best with lighter foods like seafood.

If you're thinking red wine, syrah might a good choice. It's a light bodied red wine that generally has hints of pepper and plum. Depending on what you're making, this could be good if you're making something like spicy salmon (something heartier with a red sauce/some spice). Le Faux Frog (France), Meridian, Fetzer, & Voss are a few that I really like. The Voss is highly rated and is less than $20 a bottle.

Hopefully this helps. I'm more of a beer connoisseur than wine, but any of the above I believe are good choices and run less than $20 a bottle. Here's a link that should help you pick a style depending on what you're making. Good luck, Bev!

You guys are Awesome, I knew I could count on you' all for this :unsure:

Wow! Lots of stuff about wines and all :lol: , very helpful links indeed, I have sent few emails with questions to those sources and can't wait for their replies.

I was thinking of cooking lobster & shrimp (I dislike seafood completely by the way, but heck, is not about me ya know? :P )

Thanks guys I owe ya' all one :P

Anybody a wine expert here? If so, please help me with deciding the following..

I have become one, you should hear my son-in-law

You are 100% right mad dog and cheese puffs are great...

- Also, which is the BEST wine available out there that would go great with sea food? And where can I get such wine? (safeway? or where?) plz be specific with name of wine and whatever else I need to know to get the right one

Boones farm goes with anythig and you can get it for $2.00 at any 7/11...Give the watermelon a try :lol::P:unsure:

So you don't like seafood and you don't drink wine........what are you going to have? Grilled cheese and a ginger ale? :(

:o:lol: Is a Valentine's surprise dinner... (don't matter what I like or want), isn't that what Valentines is all about? Pleasing the other person no matter what it takes? :( (I'll toast to sparkling apple cider and eat chicken alfredo)