The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Direct Mail

Rich, actually I'm not sure if I'll be doing much more marketing (getting sellers to call). None of the avenues I've tried (ads, signs, direct mail, flyers etc.) have produced as well as cold calling, and of course calling is free. If I find that I just can't call enough people per day to buy as many properties as I'd like, then I'll hire telemarketing staff. Which is still cheaper on a cost-per-deal basis, than all of the marketing I've done.

Yup. Cold calling works. I hate it. But it WORKS !!

It's good to track your efforts as you have to see where the deals are coming from and the best use of your time and dollars. Good for you ! I wish I had the discipline !

It's tough, no question about that. I don't like doing it either but like you said, it works! If I can get into and STAY in a daily routine then I'm alright. If I fall out of that routine then I get really nervous about picking up the phone again.

I don't mind hearing "no" but sometimes I get so used to the no's that I sound shocked when someone says "YES!" :angry:

One thing I learned from this mailing campaign is that I personally find it just as nerve-racking to return calls as I do to cold call. So I figure I might as well go back to doing that full-time.

An offer a day keeps the bill collectors away !

Doug,

Who did you use to create the postcard? Mind sharing the per unit cost including postage for the postcard mailing?

Thanks,

Joe Hanold

This is a good postcard. I would suggest removing 'family problems' (divorce? makes it redundant) Also I would suggest adding No equity? Relocation? (might want to remove Liens? if you are strapped for space on your card) Im impressed with your postcard. Maybe I'll use it with your permission. Also, check out www.usps.com (united postal service will send out your mailings for basically the cost of a stamp) that allows you to leverage your time better. Also contact your local recording office (preforeclosures are listed in the legal newspapers) most counties will email the contact list which will save you the time of looking up the parcel number and indexing it to a current address. If the postcard comes back to you, you have a vacant, contact the nearest skiptracer! The email should be in an excell or access format then upload this mailing list to USPS and you're basically done. Also in regards to the 24 hour rec. You are not trying to sell your plan, you are trying to sell them on the need to sell you their home. The 24 hour recording is a great qualifier and I really like offering the sell your home in 7 days free report. That is an amazing idea.

-Christopher

Doug,

Make the postcard more exciting.  "Sell the sizzle," as they say.  How about this? (one of mine I am using with pretty good response):

------------------------------------------------------------

Sell Your Home & End The Pain!

Trying to sell a home now can be a real pain.  STOP!  Let (your company name) be your pain killer.  We are home buyers!  We are NOT real estate agents - (BY CHOICE !)  You need to sell?  We need to buy!  House vacant? Need repairs? Must move quick? Making double payments? Late payments? Foreclosure? Divorce? Liens? Family problems?  Stop worrying, because…

(YOUR COMPANYNAME) buys houses in all price ranges – any condition.  We can get mortgage payments off your back in hours, not months.  Let’s talk!

CALL NOW xxx-xxx-xxxx

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Kinda dynamic.  Then, mail the same people the same message every 4-6 weeks for the next 6-8 months, like I said above.  Offer a Finder's Fee or reward on your card if there's room.  It has worked for other ventures in my past and it's starting to work with my "ramping up" real estate biz, too.

-Rich

Joe, I made the cards myself using cardstock I bought at Staples, printed them on my laser printer, can cut them with a paper cutter.

Cost per piece = about 3 cents

If that USPS postcard service was available in Canada I would use it in a heartbeat!

Guest Guest

The postal service mentioned above is great ! It costs about .24 per unit to PRINT AND MAIL postcards and the minimum you have to send is only $1.00 (4 postcards !!

This way you can retain your database and keep mailing to them every few weeks. Remember, it usually takes 7 impressions to get something to stick in somebody's mind.

OOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooopppps.....that was me above talking about the postcard mailing service offered by the USPS.

Forgot to log in.

Doh !

Doug...I have found at the Canada Post website that you can direct mail for 10 cents each. You have to print them yourself for this price but still, 13 cents (you said 3 cents to print) each is not bad! Actually this refers to unaddressed mail which I guess does not apply to expired listings as you do not specify the addresses. But what you can do is target specific neighborhoods to send these cards. So if you were interested in a particular neighborhood or 3 then you can send a postcard fairly cheaply. Which leads to my question. What does everbody think about targeting whole neighborhoods like this to weed out the motivated sellers?

What does everbody think about targeting whole neighborhoods like this to weed out the motivated sellers?

It's called "farming" and it's what real estate agents have been doing for years. I think it's the best way to go because you can develope a data base and manage it and then send out mailers to them over and over again until you get the results you want. It has been said that it takes an average of 7 "exposures" or impressions for your name to be remembered and recalled by people. If you are just blanketing mailing lists willie-nillie, you are wasting your time. I say pick a neighborhood of 1000 homes and mail to them on a regular basis - every 4-6 weeks. Soon enough, they will begin to respond and/or pass your name on to friends, family and co-workers who might need your services.

My .02...... :D

I think this is a good idea. If handled properly. We are not real estate agents so our market is much smaller more specialized. If you're mailing to just anybody. Then your focus should be on earning money by refering people to us who need sell quickly. We do not motivate seller to sell, we find sellers who are motivated. I am going to write a post that will outline a game plan. I'll make sure it includes direct mailing.

What does everbody think about targeting whole neighborhoods like this to weed out the motivated sellers?

It's called "farming" and it's what real estate agents have been doing for years. I think it's the best way to go because you can develope a data base and manage it and then send out mailers to them over and over again until you get the results you want. It has been said that it takes an average of 7 "exposures" or impressions for your name to be remembered and recalled by people. If you are just blanketing mailing lists willie-nillie, you are wasting your time. I say pick a neighborhood of 1000 homes and mail to them on a regular basis - every 4-6 weeks. Soon enough, they will begin to respond and/or pass your name on to friends, fa,family and co-workers who might need your services.

My .02...... :D

I think this is a good idea. If handled properly. We are not real estate agents so our market is much smaller more specialized. If you're mailing to just anybody. Then your focus should be on earning money by refering people to us who need sell quickly. We do not motivate seller to sell, we find sellers who are motivated. I am going to write a post that will outline a game plan. I'll make sure it includes direct mailing.

FirstAmerican,

Welcome to the Naked Investor family.

Your postcard should target hownowners in a certain "farm" area. Your PURPOSE is two-fold.

1) Tell them you'll buy their house above market value within 30 days. You will get calls from this. Hit them with a Cooperative Assignment. Mail to the same addresses every 3-6 weeks....same message. Today's indifference becomes tomorrow's motivation. You never know when life will throw somebody (in your target area) a curve ball and they have to sell. Keeping your postcards coming regularly will insure that they will call YOU when they need to make a quick move.

2) Offer a $500 - $1000 referral fee so they will tell their neighbors, co-workers, friends about you. If you do a deal with someone they referred to you, pay them well. They will refer others.

I look forward to seeing your marketing campaign when you post it.