The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
bbrunelleb

Marketing

You did fumble, Krusty, but that's OK. It only gets easier and you speak with more sellers.

When she said she wasn't interested in selling, you should have probed a little deeper to determine how deeply held a conviction that was. Perhaps you could have explained the advantages to a lease option, how it all works and what it all means to her. You never know, and if nothing else it's good practice carrying the ball, so to speak. At the very least, try for a name and address. Mail a business card and/or flyer. Get your name and message out there at every opportunity.

Thanks Michael. I do have her address. I just finished mailing this letter:

Hello,

We spoke tonight regarding your property on Eagle St. Unfortunately I could not hear you that well as I was in a bad cell phone area. I know that you stated that you do not want to sell the home at this time, but I thought I would send my business card in case your situation changes.

I am confident that I could arrange for a family to rent the home for 2 or 3 years at $1500/month. But it is imperative in what I do that you be willing to sell the home at some point during the lease for a price that we would agree upon in the beginning. These families are screened and willing to do all the maintenance to the property.

I also purchase properties from homeowners and landlords and sell to other landlords or investors. If you know of anyone who might be wanting to sell for fast cash or would like help arranging a rent to own, please let me know. I always pay a $500 finders fee for any referrals. The same applies if you know of anyone wanting to purchase investment property.

I am not a real estate agent and none of my services cost homeowners anything.

As mentioned above, I have enclosed my business card so that you can easily give me a call if you would like any more information.

Thank You,

Russ Reynolds

RNL Home Solutions

416-856-5410

What are your thoughts (or anyone else's) on this letter?

I have families wanting to sign a 2 or 3 year lease at above market rent in your area in exchange for an option to purchase the home at some point in the future. Please let me know if this is something you would like to discuss.

Since I specialize in FRBO's only, I feel like diving in here :mellow:

Russ, try also something like.. (assuming your target is FRBO)

" I'm in need of rental properties in your area for families willing to pay you higher rent amount than what you're currently asking for in exchange for Renting To Own your home to them" .. (er something like that)

This is very generic and when I use it it works everytime! Of course the only method of marketing I've ever done is phone and nothing else.. (my site is just there for my current clients)

She stated that 'Oh, I don't want to sell'.  I said, 'oh, sorry I can't help you then' and she said goodbye and hung up.  Should I have triued another approach, or chalk this up as a non-motivated landlord?

In my opinion, I would had kept this lady on the line long enough for me to explain to her exactly what she was saying NO to (no need to give her a lecture nor a course on RTO, just a simple conversational guidance).

Not because I would want to turn this into a deal, but more importantly because once she understands about the Rent To Own even if is not for her, she can and WILL always spread the word to other landlords, this happens A LOT!! :blush:

I tell them that I blanketed the entire neighborhood, and their client was accidentally included in the mass mailing.  I apologize, tell them it won't happen again, and all is forgotten.  It has never gone past that point.

Good line to use. I like that response.

Hi Bev,

I was curious to see you solely use the phone and call FRBO's... do you just ask if they are interested in RTO or do you have a softer lead in? Thanks!

Hi AmyB,

I usually say something like....

" I'm in need of rental properties in your area for families willing to pay you higher rent amount than what you're currently asking for in exchange for Renting To Own your home to them" .. (er something like that)

And yes, I ONLY do phones, but lately I had no other choice than to get clients via email which I don't really like B)

Are you asking me? But if you are...

I don't use MLS at all... I use newspapers FRBO ads :unsure: