The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
shane

What Am I Doing Wrong?

I've been making cold calls ever since Doug recommended them to me. Thanks for all the great help Doug!!! I'd be nowhere without you!

The first few days of cold calls I had relatively good success calling FSBO's. I had 2 prospects from talking to 6 people. They turned out to be nothing, I can only assume, since I can't get ahold of them and they don't seem to want to return my messages.

Since then, I've had absolutly no success at all. It reminds my of my days telemarketing for AT&T. I worked there for about 4 months (too long) and sold very few long distance plans! I'd make hundreds of calls in a night. My supervisor listened in on one of my calls and said I sounded as if my dog just died :unsure: . I did not want to be there and it came out in my voice. Is the same thing happening here? I know I'm not as gifted as Bev at building rapport, but I don't think I'm that bad. I work at a bank and have fairly decent success pulling in more business by making cold calls.

I've been trying what other people have tried on this forum, but still nothing.

I still don't really feel confident making the calls. The seller can probably here the doubt in my voice. Is it what I'm saying, how I'm saying it, my tone of voice?

Should I think about a the nice sunny beach I'll be laying on once I complete a couple of deals, of that I'll be able to quit my job in a couple of years :) ?

How does everyone here make their calls? I need help!!!!

Thanks

Shane

"c-c-c-cold calls" LOL that's funny :unsure:

99.99% chance it's your attitude/subconscious/emotions. But not to worry we've all been there, done that! There's absolutely NOTHING strange or unusual about you, Shane... well, not as far as cold calling goes anyways B)

We can't all be genius master option raiders from the get-go like Bev :)

Consider this: You've called what? About 20 or so sellers so far?

I called somewhere around 200 sellers before I got my first deal from cold calling. Then I called another 70 or so before I got my second. Now I call a couple of people and I have a deal.

What's the difference? Success from persistance. My attitude has been completely turned on its head. I used to worry about whether someone (anyone!) would say yes. I used to think: "Even if I can get just 1 yes out of 100..."

That thought never goes through my mind anymore. I simply KNOW that if I want to sign up a deal, or two, or 10, I can.

Another thing I used to (and still sometimes slip into) worry about is "WHAT" to say. What you say doesn't make that much difference so long as you believe in whatever it is.

You'll get there, Shane. You just have to keep picking yourself back up when you fall. Keep calling, keep changing what you say so that it's comfortable for you. Before long you'll realize you aren't using that ratty old script or even an outline. You'll be doing what Bev knew how to do instinctively: Just having a conversation.

Shane, you aren't necessarily doing anything wrong. But you aren't doing enough. There is a common misconception among n00bs that ten calls equals $10K. Wish it were so, but it isn't. Particularly when starting out. You're raw, you're nervous, you're unsure of yourself and you're doubtful about the whole thing. This all comes through the phone. The answer? Make more calls and have a don't-give-a-damn attitude about the person on the other end and what they think of you. The first motivated seller you reach will overlook all your faults, and want to keep you on the phone to hear how you can help them.

And another important thought to keep in mind. You mentioned that you used to be a telemarketer. That really has no bearing at all on calling FSBO and FRBO ads. Why? Because, as my good friend Adam often says, "You're the buyer! You ain't selling a damn thing!" See the difference? Remember that when you are calling. You're doing these homeowners a favor by giving them their money's worth from their advertising.

One last thing: in addition to your calls, you must begin marketing. Having calls coming in is critical to your success. Start getting your name and number out into the communities where you want to do business.

Shane:

Nothing comes easy its work. Listen to Michael and Adam. We all experienced similar numbers to start. You are not different. When I first started it was great then the numbers went down really quick. Use marketing to find that motivated seller. MARKET MARKET MARKET. Market enough so they are begging you for the sale not you asking them for the sale.

Remember its a service for them not for you. Then it becomes a totally different game.

Shane

The most important thing about making those calls is realizing that you are not just

some nut calling people just for kicks you have a very important service to offer you are not selling for your bank or for AT&T. You are marketing a very important service and are looking to help people. If you have any doubts about your voice record some of your call and see what you can do to improve it. When I was selling life insurance the biggest problem for me when making calls was robot voice yes think Ben Stein ugh. :unsure:

The first few days of cold calls I had relatively good success calling FSBO's.
I know I'm not as gifted as Bev at building rapport, but I don't think I'm that bad.
I still don't really feel confident making the calls.
How does everyone here make their calls? I need help!!!!

Here is my Therapist point of view.... :unsure:

Shane, the only thing I think you're doing wrong is "you're conceiving the wrong seed within you" (think of it as when a woman has conceived ... she is now pergnant and development of the fetus takes place through time.. what we conceive will always come out from within us)

Lemme explain,.. most people don't like c c c cold calls, right? And when they finally make that first call most likely they will get rejected / discouraged by the homeseller, then we start thinking all sorts of negative things about ourselves like," I feel like an idiot, I mustuf sounded like a moron on that one call that this homeseller hung up on me before I even had a chance to explain myself to him.. etc..."

Most people will and DO give up at this point.. but if we're brave enuff, we make that second call to another homeseller, but guess what? Before we even pick up the phone to make that second call, we immediately start thinking about our bad experience with our last call, so we get nervous and sweaty, we mumble, our minds go blank bla bla... so how do u think THIS other call is gonna go?

You Bet! Is gonna go probably even worst than the one before and so on to the next call and the next one and the next one....the snow ball starts to build (this is what is meant by conceiving the wrong seed within us, we're building a snow-ball of negatives which in most cases it takes 100's of calls before we get our 1 deal)

So, how do we conceive the "right" seed?

Like life in general... don't think about your bad experiences, just FOCUS on all the positive replies/comments/reactions you've gotten from your past calls (even if is just a meaningless one), when you focus on only the positive things of each of your calls and get a vision of your next call being even more positive than the one before thats when the snow ball starts to build your positive mentality called "SELFCONFIDENCE"! Once you've built that, is a life-long avalanche all the way down in everything you do in life! :)

Wow! I knew I joined this forum for a reason. I just wish I hadn't waited so long. The support on this group is incredible. Thanks so much!

I'm going to try to take all of your advice to heart! Its going to take a while and many calls before I feel good about doing it, but if thats what it takes I'm all over those calls!

Michael and Craig you both said to start marketing to get my name out there, I'm wondering what you would recommend. Do I want something for everyone to see like signs or do I want something like flyers/postcards? Am I using the usual "We buy house!" because I've noticed a few signs like that in my area already. I don't want to be just another one one of those signs. I sure like the idea of people begging me to do deals on their houses!

Doug, your pretty close when you said about 20, but I've been pretty bad for keeping track. I think it's actually a little more, maybe around 30. It's probably very important to keep track, but I'm not the most organized person. I've been scribbling the houses that I call out of comfree, but the others I've just been crumpling up the piece of paper I wrote it on and throwing it out. Any suggestions for keeping track?

Gordon, I think I'm having Ben Stien syndom now that you mention it. I sound boring, monotone and uninterested. I'm going to have to make a consious effort to change that. I've been playing with my voice mail trying to sound more exciting, but I have a lot of work to do.

I know I get excited every time I see that little phone and letter icon on my cell phone showing me that I missed a call. You're right I am doing the seller a favour, I'm calling them about the house they have for sale/rent and offering them a service.

Thanks everyone.

Shane

Michael and Craig you both said to start marketing to get my name out there, I'm wondering what you would recommend.
Shane, I'm going to take the easy way out and point you to the Marketing forum. Read through the many great ideas that other members have put forth. It'll keep you busy for a week.

Hey Shane, Im also a ROOKIE INVESTOR and I have gone through the same problems that you are having. Since i have been working with my father in this buisness, I have made COLD CALLS (f.s.b.o) & (f.r.b.o) an have left a ton of messages and thust far NO DEALS!! So i ask my father whats wrong with this buisness. The first thing he said was, I had to be more aggressive and confident. Because if not they sense that i don't know what im doing.

Now this saturday my father and i have two DEALS to see.

I have a very good feeling about these prospects, its amazing how confidence and attitude can improve your ability to do better.

But keep up the good work and goodluck!! :wacko:

I just got off the phone with a very interested FRBO if I can provide a T/B. She said she'll be interested to proceed with this if I can first find a T/B that is serious about buying L/O her place. She wanted me to e-mail her my contracts before we even signed anything, just to look over to know what she's getting into. It makes sense to me to want to do that. However, I declined as I've paid good money for these contracts and am not about to just give them away for her to use. At what point should I be letting the seller have a lawyer look the contracts over?

She also wanted to know what the benefit of dealing with me were. I told her that I have experience doing this, I have a broker to qualify T/B, I have contracts made up and ready to go, and I'm free. Anything else I'm missing?

I'm not sure this house will even be possible here. Its a very nice house in a very nice area. Our market here is vvery hot, but still very much behind other markets in Canada. It almost seems out of reach for people that would be interested in L/O a home. Although, it would be a nice pay day for me :wacko:

I have no T/B lined up, should I even bother getting and running applications before I have a house under contract?

Sorry, I ask a lot of questions.

Can anyone give me some feedback.

Thanks

Shane

Absolutely NOT! You have to have a contract. Ask her if she would spend her money and work her ass off to find a buyer, with no guarantee whatsoever that the house will even be available when she finds that buyer?

Meet with her lawyer yourself to go over the contracts. Besides the obvious fact that this prevents her from stealing your contracts. It also has the long-term benefit of getting you acquainted with lawyers in your area. If it's a real estate lawyer chances are good that you will run into them on future deals and if they already know you and your contract then it should be easier the next time.

Shane, if you have any doubts that there are RTO buyers for very nice houses just have a look at Bev's inventory, and some of John's at Leasing to Buy. Besides, what have you got to lose? A bunch of signs, flyers and a website only costs a few bucks.

I just got off the phone with a very interested FRBO if I can provide a T/B. She said she'll be interested to proceed with this if I can first find a T/B that is serious about buying L/O her place.
Hell no, to paraphrase Doug. We'll be polite and tell her that in doing so you would be brokering real estate without a license, and you would be violating the law. No signed agreement, no true motivation. Don't bother, Shane.
She wanted me to e-mail her my contracts before we even signed anything, just to look over to know what she's getting into.
Don't you dare, dude! :wacko: ... :) If I had a dollar for every homeowner who just "wants a quick look", Angelina Jolie would be with my baby now, not Brad Pitt's. (I don't know what that means, by the way.)

She wants those contracts because you put a good idea in her head, and the paperwork is all that is stopping her from proceeding without you. If she is serious you two can meet, and the contracts come out at that time. She either signs them in your presence, or you and the paperwork leave together. If she needs her attorney to review them, tell her to give you his/her name and number and you can initiate contact and remain in control of the situation.

She also wanted to know what the benefit of dealing with me were. I told her that I have experience doing this, I have a broker to qualify T/B, I have contracts made up and ready to go, and I'm free. Anything else I'm missing?
Great answer. I may use it myself. <_<
I'm not sure this house will even be possible here. Its a very nice house in a very nice area. Our market here is vvery hot, but still very much behind other markets in Canada. It almost seems out of reach for people that would be interested in L/O a home.
Don't prejudge the property, Shane. Common n00b mistake. Get the deal signed, and then we can work on moving it. Worse case, you fall back on one of our weasel clauses. Sure, you're out a few dollars and some time, but you've gained insight and experience in the meantime.