The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
JerseyJeff

Copyrighted Contracts

They're copyrighted because I did so with the Office of Copyrights in Washington, DC. My reason for doing so is because I don't want anyone using them without my permission. Seems only fair if I had to pay for them that I should at least have some say in who gets to use them.

In some small way it is an attempt to retain control over what is mine. Of course, I know they have been used by sneaky homeowners. Heck, there could be a farmer in Iowa right now, wrapping up a great sandwich lease on some fine acreage in the heart of corn country. What can I do about it?

And, no, you cannot remove the copyright logo on the documents.

My reason for doing so is because I don't want anyone using them without my permission.  Seems only fair if I had to pay for them that I should at least have some say in who gets to use them.

In some small way it is an attempt to retain control over what is mine. 

Fortunately it's a rare day that he calls and says, "Sorry, you can't use my contracts today!" :)

Kimberly,

US Copyright Protection is stated in the Berne Union for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Property (Berne Convention).

Minor editing does not change the copyright placed by the creator of the document.

To be allowed to remove a copyright can be done in several ways but I will only mention two here:

1. Get the permission from the creator of the document to remove the copyright.

Michael C has already said no to removing the © copyright on his document.

2. Make a major modification to the document.

This is why you see some documents that have something like this ie © 2003, 2004 Mary Doe. A major modification was made and in this instant case, 2004 was another registration to copyright the modified document.

Daniel Ng, JD/LL.B (Honours)

The Transactions Engineer