The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve

Sensitive Issue

Hi,

I contacted a homeowner who had a house for rent, and this is an out of town owner, who has a cousin acting on his interests and has power of attorney. I spoke with the cousin, whose interested in CA, and I was supposed to meet with him last week. I called to confirm the appointment, but he was in the hospital with his mother, apparently she had a brain hemmorage and is in critical condition. I told him I would call back in a week. I just got off the phone with him, and asked about his mom, and he tells me she's grave condition. I don't want to keep calling this guy because he's got more pressing issues than me, but I also don't want lose contact with him cause this might be a good deal for a CA.

Any suggestions on how I go about this in a tasteful manner? From the sounds of things, I don't think his mom is going to make it, and they've been talking to realtors as well, so time is important, and I don't want him to list it just because that's an easier thing to do. I also don't want to turn into a pit bull salesman, and put the pressure on, given his situation.

Steve

Hi,

I contacted a homeowner who had a house for rent, and this is an out of town owner, who has a cousin acting on his interests and has power of attorney. I spoke with the cousin, whose interested in CA, and I was supposed to meet with him last week. I called to confirm the appointment, but he was in the hospital with his mother, apparently she had a brain hemmorage and is in critical condition. I told him I would call back in a week. I just got off the phone with him, and asked about his mom, and he tells me she's grave condition. I don't want to keep calling this guy because he's got more pressing issues than me, but I also don't want lose contact with him cause this might be a good deal for a CA.

Any suggestions on how I go about this in a tasteful manner? From the sounds of things, I don't think his mom is going to make it, and they've been talking to realtors as well, so time is important, and I don't want him to list it just because that's an easier thing to do. I also don't want to turn into a pit bull salesman, and put the pressure on, given his situation.

Steve

Steve,

I would call back in a few weeks to see how they're doing. GIVE THEM ROOM! Sometimes are quest for money is so absolute we forget why we're doing it.

Just put yourself in their shoes if you can.

Keep your compassion and see what happens.

Regards,

Adam

Hi,

Steve

Just hang back, maybe even send a personal letter wishing him and his family well(no soliciting). Then call him back when you think enough time has passed. (3-4 weeks tops.)

Try pitching a SLO. Tell him you don't normally do this, but being the situation he is in, you will...

Pitch the SLO.

I agree with you and others that you need to be sensitive. However, if he's going to keep moving ahead with selling the house, it might as well be with you.

Jeff

Jeff, the numbers don't work for a SLO, another situation where a seller doesn't want to give up his equity or future appreciation. He said he would call me today, but nothing so far, if he doesn't get back to me, I'll try again in a couple of days.

Steve

Sign in to follow this