The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Cheap A-frame signs

I'm trying to make dirt cheap A-frame signs by just taping 2 sheets of coroplast together at the top. The problem is how to make it heavy enough at the bottom so it won't blow over? Or maybe little "feet" that will stick into the ground/snow.

Any ideas folks?

Us Canadians must think alike! I was dreaming up idea for this as well.

I was thinking of using step stakes through the bottom, but that's probably not enough of a base if you're putting them on pavement. It might work if you have ground or snow to put them in though. We might be better off using wooden stakes at the bottom, and tying the signs together at the top using cable ties. I'm going to give this a go next time I have an open house.

Steve

I like your idea of cable ties instead of tape.

I was thinking that the step stakes would be too long (unless you cut part of them off) and like you said they still wouldn't give it enough weight.

Hmmm, what about wood stakes on the inside on both sides and a piece of wood between them at the bottom?

Like this:

|_|

The stakes could stick out from the bottom of the sign by say 2 or 3 inches. They won't really stick into the ground to any depth, but then again neither do the $50 metal A-frames.

what if the piece of wood is in the middle not at the bottom, and we put a hinge on it so it can fold up, and keep the wooden stakes in the 4 corners? It's just a matter of figuring what you're going to attach the middle piece of wood to?

/--\

How about just attaching it by the hinge to one of the corner stakes, then when it's folded down it touches the other leg.

Side view:

/_\

Have one on both sides so you have a hinged piece of wood running between each of the legs.

You know what though... if we make it like this there's nothing to stop it from folding flat LOL :) We'll have to use 90 degree hinges at the top too, or have some way of attaching the crossbeam to the opposite leg.

How about using leftovers of plywood or drywall as backing for the sign. It is heavy and free, assuming you get it from construction dumpsters.

I'm trying to make dirt cheap A-frame signs by just taping 2 sheets of coroplast together at the top. The problem is how to make it heavy enough at the bottom so it won't blow over? Or maybe little "feet" that will stick into the ground/snow.

Any ideas folks?

Duct tape or cable ties. Make sure the flutes go vertical and use welding rods up the flutes on each side of the sign. Stick each welding rod in the snow at the angle of the A Frame.

Then again take old plywood or wafer board cut into to two triangles use roofing nails to attach the wood to the sides of signs in the a frame shape.

Take a 12 foot furring strip cost about 2.99 in the states. Use roofing nails to nail the 4 legs about 3 feet long each to the sides of the signs use the cable ties through 1 hole in each leg to use as a hinge.

Sign maker