The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
sholandaingeorgia

A funny story

I've been in real estate now for about 3 years. I haven't been doing so bad at it, but I know there's room for improvement. There is always room for improvement. I set a goal for myself for 2006, that I really plan on achieving. I work as an on-site agent in a new home community and my goal is to be out of that community and into my next community by August 2006.

Well, I was discussing my goals with some family members when I hear an aunt say "I think I'm going to try real estate". I love my aunt, so I had to let her know, You don't try real estate, real estate tries you! This isn't a game, but a career. I figure I must paint a pretty picture b/c they only see me opening and closing doors to homes. They don't see the long nights, the negotiations with unwilling agents, the sometimes and unfortunate financial instability this career brings. As the local news channel puts it, you have to be determined, dedicated, and assertive. "Assertive" is my word. I think their final word is "dependable" and I agree you must be that also. Then I hear her say "well, you don't seem to be struggling". I replied, "No, I don't let anyone else see me struggling".

It gets tiring trying to convince people that you have their best interest at heart when your whole paycheck is determined on whether or not they will allow you to sell their home. I prove my worth day in and day out to be able to live the lifestyle that I want--trust me this lifestyle involves being able to eat 3 meals a day, spending time with my hubby and children, and going to church on Sundays. I don't need anything fancy.

My whole motivation factor is my family and having the ability to become debt-free with some hard work. I don't try to discourage people from going into real estate, but I do try to give them a realistic view. To be honest, if I had researched further and known about real estate investing before becoming an agent, I probably never would have gotten my license. Having a license isn't a totally bad thing, because there are benefits as well. There are some differences that one should consider when trying to decide whether to get a license or to not get a license to do investing. Now, alot of companies are focusing on investors because they realize that investors are a good source of steady income, if they treat them right.

Traditionally, agents feel that investors put in low-ball offers ( I heard that word alot during my 1st year) and feel that they (investors) are out to cut their commission some way or another. I guess, because I've always been more open-minded, I don't think about anyone cutting anything I haven't received already anyway. Just me! I'd rather get in there and put in some offers than to sit idly at the office on office duty.

So what happened with my aunt: I informed her if she is going to become involved with real estate, educate herself, find out the benefits and disadvantages, surround yourself with positive and successful people, and invest for yourself!!

Sholanda, thanks for sharing a real story from the "front lines" of the real estate industry. I agree that many outsiders view the real estate industry, as a whole, as being somewhat glamorous and the path to easy riches. As anyone inside the biz knows, that just ain't so. You know this better than most I would think. The drop out rate for Realtors is quite high, if the stats I read are accurate.

As for getting a license, my feeling is it is six of one, half a dozen of the other. Depending upon what the individual does once they have that license makes all the difference. If they chose to become licensed to sit in the office on office duty, as you describe, then getting that piece of paper was a bad choice.

On the other hand, becoming licensed and then accessing all the inside info you now have at your disposal, and using it to further your success as a real estate investor, well, that's a good thing.