The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Craig

Forming a LLC

Can anyone give advice or recommend a service for starting an LLC? Not sure what state I want to file in.

Thanks and have a great day.

Damn! This reminds me I need to step it up to find an attorney who can give us some opinions when we need 'em. In the meantime, Craig, I think the advantage you are looking for in seeking an out of state entity would be with an Corporation, not an LLC. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

As for forming an LLC, that usually does not require the services of a third party. They are fairly straightforward in most states. Although, living in NY as you do, and my being an ex-NYer, I know the tendency is for things to be more difficult there than is necessary. That said, start with a visit to the NYS Secretary of State website. This is the Agency that should have the information for this.

Damn! This reminds me I need to step it up to find an attorney who can give us some opinions when we need 'em. In the meantime, Craig, I think the advantage you are looking for in seeking an out of state entity would be with an Corporation, not an LLC. Of course, I could be completely wrong.

As for forming an LLC, that usually does not require the services of a third party. They are fairly straightforward in most states. Although, living in NY as you do, and my being an ex-NYer, I know the tendency is for things to be more difficult there than is necessary. That said, start with a visit to the NYS Secretary of State website. This is the Agency that should have the information for this.

Hi Michael:

The LLC varies from state to state. Each state has its own requirement you must follow for the LLC. You are correct about New York it is so riddled with paper work.

I am sure I can do the filing myself I just want to be sure I complete all the legal requirements year to year. And I am clear on what is expected. If not this can cause trouble the say. The nice thing about the LLC you get the Limited Liabilty Corporation with the ease of a partnership.

Guest texbrad

Hi, Craig, I just used a company on Ebay to file my LLC for Nevada(I am in Texas). It cost me $15 to the company, they filled in my info on the forms, mailed them to me, I sent a $75 check to the secretary of stae, it is a done deal. The $15 to the LLC company includes a year of Registered Agent Service as well.

Let me know if you would like some info on them, thanks, Brad

Hi Michael:

The LLC varies from state to state. Each state has its own requirement you must follow for the LLC. You are correct about New York it is so riddled with paper work.

I am sure I can do the filing myself I just want to be sure I complete all the legal requirements year to year. And I am clear on what is expected. If not this can cause trouble the say. The nice thing about the LLC you get the Limited Liabilty Corporation with the ease of a partnership.

Hi, Craig, I just used a company on Ebay to file my LLC for Nevada(I am in Texas). It cost me $15 to the company, they filled in my info on the forms, mailed them to me, I sent a $75 check to the secretary of stae, it is a done deal. The $15 to the LLC company includes a year of Registered Agent Service as well.

Thanks for the information Brad, I just finished talking to a recommended company www.corporate.com or www.LLC.com I did have some questioning for him as I have for you.

If you filled in Nevada don't you also have to file in any state you do business in? Including filing the taxes for both states of Texas and Nevada? Also its my understanding you most file taxes in both states but only pay in one.

That $15.00 did that include your state filing fee? Or is that billed separate?

Craig in NY but lived in Irving TX for 3 years and did love it.

Have a great day

Guest kevin

Hi Michael:

Hi brad, was wondering what company you went thru, sure would like to do the same??

kevindean007@hotmail.com

Hi Michael:

How much is the State Filing fees the total price doesn't sound correct.

Sorry it took so long to get back, it was $75 for the state, then $125 for the yearly filing fee. We do not have to register a foreign corporation in Texas. Here is the link,Brad

http://www.nevadaonly.com/

Quick, simple an honest.

P.S.Brad I have no affiliation with this company, i just recieved good service.

Sorry it took so long to get back, it was $75 for the state, then $125 for the yearly filing fee. We do not have to register a foreign corporation in Texas. Here is the link,Brad

http://www.nevadaonly.com/

Quick, simple an honest.

P.S.Brad I have no affiliation with this company, i just recieved good service.

Hello, I am new to these boards, but have been reading them religiously and learning a lot.

Brad, I am in Texas and while doing research I found a web page that indicated that after creating your LLC in Nevada you must register with the state in which you will be doing business (in my case TX). They included a list of the filing fees for each state and it showed $750 to register in TX.

You mentioned that you don't have to register a foreign corporation in TX. Am I misunderstaing the whole thing? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Aaron

If you filled in Nevada don't you also have to file in any state you do business in? Including filing the taxes for both states of Texas and Nevada? Also its my understanding you most file taxes in both states but only pay in one.

This is more to the group than to Craig...

Definitely check the details closely. Maybe even consider paying a lawyer as you might not get the facts correct if you are not careful.

Most states have the idea that a 'foreign' entity conducting business in the state needs to be registered with the state. Something about needing a clear way to serve notice if there is an issue. Note that part of the issue is the definition of what constitutes 'doing business' in a state. Buying and selling might not be seen as doing business while owning a rental could be. If the 'create an LLC sites' do not provide clear advice who are you going to depend on later?

In one state I am familiar with the cost for the annual filing as a foreign entity is the same as the cost of just being registered in that state (this is for an LLC). Hence it might not be advised on a cost basis to register an LLC in NV and then have to file in the state or states in which you do business.

Getting the legal set up correct and knowing how to then operate year to year so that you are not losing the protections afforded a legal entity might be well worth the cost of a lawyer. Be careful about trying to save money on the front end and creating unexpected legal liability later. Only you can decide at the end of the day.