The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
CS1977

bandit sign on personal residence?

It may be a dumb idea, but I was thinking--I see people advertising their own biz with lawn signs on their property in my area. Handyman, pool service, etc. What about a We Buy Houses type sign on my own lawn? I know there is an issue with people knowing that you are the bandit sign person in your area....but is there a way to make this work? Seems a shame to waste the opportunity to advertise yourself in the one place the bandit sign police won't bug you. (hopefully)

Or is it just not a good idea? Feedback appreciated.

Not a bad idea, CS. But there are a few things you can do to avoid the bandit sign police from hauling you off to the town drunk tank for the weekend.

First, the sign on your own property should be a better quality than the "disposable" bandit sign type. You know, something from Fast Signs or another sign store. Cast iron frame, sheet metal, etc. Looks better, lasts forever.

Then, the message and the number on your lawn sign can be different than the bandit signs you throw about town. We have talked previously about using a prepaid cell phone number for your bandit signs as a way of preventing the number being traced back to you. But the number on your permanent sign, on your property, could be a different one. So someone seeing your bandit signs probably won't equate the two and show up at your door, pitchfork and torch in hand.

Also, having a different number will enable you to track which signs are pulling the calls.

Thanks MC, I like your idea of a better quality sign. I think on that sign I could put maybe my cell phone number. (I think home number would not be a good idea, right?) :blush:

I wonder if there is something a little less cheesy than "We Buy Houses" that I could put on the sign, being that it is my lawn and all. :P Something that will do the same job, but a little less delightfully tacky. ;)

Agreed that you don't want to publish your home phone number on the sign. And, yeah, less cheese is a good thing, too. Let's hear what others on the board suggest for a "perma-sign".

less cheese is a good thing
MC, I thought you were Italian??? :blush:

Jeff

Well, I've been known to pass up Mrs. C for a good piece of provolone. . .

Guest marc

bandit signs that have worked for me:

we take over mortgage payments

sell your house in 7 days

tired of mortgage?

company will lease your home with purchase option

We just got 2 SFH to do CA's on for the first time which mean no Ass. fees which also mean that we get to put our signs on the front lawn So I hope that this help move these prop's a lot faster will see.

Another thing I was think of doing was to get the regular bandit sign and instead of the step steaks I would use 2 balloons and let them fly up in the air, The balloons would be large enough to carry the signs balloons would be fill up with helium and let them fly. Now that should get some attention.

We also just order match books with logo and info set to go out to all the bars, mom & pop stores, Gas stations etc. give them out for free people always read match book covers at least the good ads. Will see what turns up