The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Andrew Ikeda

How about.......??

Hey Everyone:

I was wondering if any of you would be interested in maybe sharing some 'war stories' of cold calls or visits with sellers.

What I'm thinking about is if we could maybe post something humorous or take a bad call we made (or whatever) and have some fun with it.

The idea came to mind earlier this evening when I was cold calling a FRBO and I asked the lady if she would consider an l/p if I were to rent for two years. She started laughing hard and then I did too!! :D Why? I havent the faintest idea. I was totally serious!! :D Anyways, this lady asked me before hand where I worked, how long I worked there, if my wife worked, etc. Bah- ha-ha- ha! After the phone call I amused myself by telling myself that she must be every investors worst nightmare!! :lol: So I share this with you hoping that some of you will be mutually interested in responding in kind, or if not, have a good laugh on me!! It is my hope that we can take a bad day and make it good and/or keep up some humor in this crazy world!!

Maybe we could have some kind of competition to see who has the best (or worst? or funniest?) scenario on a monthly basis? Offer some kind of prize? Anyone interested?

Andrew

P.S. Boy, I would sure like to hear some of Michael C's 'war stories' I know he's got some good ones!! ;)

This sounds like a great idea, Andrew...It would keep us all laughing.

I don't have any to share right now, however, I will be on the lookout for the funny incident.

(I need a good laugh everyday!

option8

Here is one for you Andrew, I made a call cold and I ask the lady would you be interested in selling your house on a lease purchase, and she said you must have the wrong number. That was so funny and cute to me. After she said that she just hung up the phone, and I just crack up inside.

MichaelR :D

That's good MichaelR!! At least she didnt cuss you out filthy!! :D I was thinking that if someone started giving us flak, we could say the same thing.."Oh sorry, I must have the wrong number"!!

What do you think of that? That's a good idea you gave me! Thanks!! :lol:

Andrew

O.K. I have a story to add.

I was trying to find a Real Estate Investing Club in my area.

So, I tracked down a list of 4 different groups.

I started to call the phone numbers and....

...each one of the group leaders I tried to contact were dead....and they've been dead!

Not just one, but 3 out of the 4! Talk about weird and uncomfortable.

Few of the oddest calls I've ever made. I need to inform the website where I got the phone #s to update their list!

Anyhow, is anyone else who participates in the forum out in New Mexico?

Know of a good group to join?

Summer

Summer, having had the pleasure of residing in the Land of Enchantment for about 6 years, I would love to return for a visit. Heck, I might even move back there permanently, I miss the green chile that much :lol: . But, I digress.........

My point is if you do locate any REIG's out your way, (and I must assume there is at least one), please let me know. I would fly out there in a heartbeat to be a guest speaker........ if the club would want me, that is :D .

AHHHH you must have been reading my mind!!

If I find a "lively" bunch out here, you'll be the first one I call. :D

I just may have to start my own group. I'm finding other investors in the same boat as me just through the grapevine.

I'll keep you posted for sure!

Summer

Here's a new one!!

I'm running an ad in the newspaper as per Michael's ad, you know, the one that says AAA Credit, family looking for........ etc.?

Well, this lady calls me yesterday and asks me if I have a house to sell her. I was on the freeway and asked her to call me back and leave a message on the voice mail.

Earlier this evening I noticed her number on my cell phone in the 'missed calls' section so I called and then she told me I had the wrong number after I explained who I was and the name of my business!! ;) Boy, people sure crack me up!!

Best story I ever heard....

Friend of mine bought a house through a 'bank repo auction' with no pre-purchase access to the property.

He went to see it after winning the bid. He took his two green partners (MD, ESQ) along as well.

400 lb owner (former) was waiting out front. They convinced him to let them into the property to see the inside, (although the guy was unwilling - said it was a little messy)

Bottom line - it was not only messy, it was the worst. Trash, decaying food, feces, you name it filled every space up to 4 feet and more. My friend had to literally climb into the house by getting onto the kitchen counter. His green partners literally turned green and one had to go outside and almost puked. The next day - that partner dropped out of the partnership.

Anyhow - my friend was smiling ear-to-ear when he left the house. Why? Because, even though it was a mess (oh I forgot to mention that the man living in this Michigan house had not had water or electrcity for the past 5 years) even though it was filled with filth - the "basic structure of the building was sound."

4 large dump trucks and $10K later, they had a saleable house. Made $80K. Not bad.

But you've got to have some stomach to be in this business.

Regards,

Heidi

Hello, Heidi, and welcome to The Naked Investor!

Great story. It reinforces what many of us already know: there's gold in garbage!

Andrew Ikeda,

here is a email I gotawhile back on a offer the bold is my coments

Tony

As a very young man my Daddy taught me that if something sounds too good to be true it probably is!  You have renewed my faith that my Daddy was a very smart man.  I thought your scam was the answer to my wishes, and then started to wonder if it might just be the beginning to a MAJOR problem. 

During our last conversation I didn't really like your questioning my price I asked how he came up with the price, and then you quoted prices in the area.  When I called your bluff bluff what bluff my comp were 1-7 month old within 2blocks of his house and told you the dates of your quotes you were a little uneasy no I was uneasy that he was comparing apples to oranges.

Now your answer is to cut $20000 off my price well if your price is 10k to high that tells me to go 20k lower and meet in the middle ....   How about this, I agree to a selling price of $300,000 and that price increases by market for each month that it is not sold.  Also the "rent" just went up to $3000.  What do you say to this kind of business practice?  I didn't appreciate from you, and I am sure you think I am full of it too.  I thought he was full of it when he told me what he wanted for his house....NEXT....

My final answer is the above terms I have stated in this e-mail or nothing at all, guess this ends our fine relationship..... I never claimed to be his friend

Xxxxx

PS any further replies other than yes, or any spam traced back to you or your company will be considered harassment.

think I go by and see if he sold his house wait I just looked on line.... NOPE

I guess if I tak to him now he will want 360k ... lol

Tony,

Thanks for sharing the story. Wow! I'm never at a loss for words for these kind of people!!

So this person's daddy was smart? Try ignorant! How is a person to judge whether it is a scam or not without fully investigating. It goes to show that a majority dont have the true understanding of the meaning of "due diligence."

The asking price? From what you mentioned, it sounds way overpriced. In this case, the owner is in a fantasy world....time to pull the 3 G's! (Good luck, God bless, and Good-bye!!) :rolleyes:

Shake it Tony and move on!! Good luck and happy investing!!

Sincerely,

Andrew