The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
tala

Refinancing Options? -- Residence to Rental

Single family residence..purchased 393K 6/04, owner occupied, current value 550K.

Current loans are Stated Income 100%loan...first TD is $314,400 interest only payment $1283, second TD is $78,600 payment of $649. The first TD pmt goes up by $400 June of 2007. First has a 3 year prepay.

Goal: My goal is to relocate to another state. I would like to keep this home for the next three years then sell it so I can claim my $250,000 tax free. I can rent it for the existing house payment, possibly more, but not sure rent will go to the 2300-2500 mark.

Have no bills, 2 investment homes purchased last year rented out to cover mortgages. Had a 768 Fico last fall, currently mid score is 683 (I'm told by lender this was due to two properties I purchased being so new, not long enough to establish a payment history--they were purchased in 9/05 and 10/05.

Questions: Any suggestions on getting a refinance with cash out that will lower payments for the next 3 years til I sell?

If I take cash out now in a refinance and sell in 3 years (actually BY 3 YEARS FROM LAST OCCUPANCY) am I still ok with the IRS for the tax free 250,000?

Should I sell now, suffer the pre-pay, but reinvest the money in the new state, which is having a faster market growth right now (New Mexico). Appreciation rate in new state is higher, but home values are lower.

Appreciate some insight/suggestions on what I should be looking to do, and anything I should watch out for, avoid, etc.

Really, really, thank you for the help!

Hi, tala, and welcome to The Naked Investor. First, I'm curious as to where the property is located. And where in NM are you headed to? I lived in ABQ for about six years.

If I take cash out now in a refinance and sell in 3 years (actually BY 3 YEARS FROM LAST OCCUPANCY) am I still ok with the IRS for the tax free 250,000?
As for your tax question/issue, I suggest you ask Dave T, who moderates our Tax Strategies forum. The gent knows more about the tax code than the IRS.
Any suggestions on getting a refinance with cash out that will lower payments for the next 3 years til I sell?
And as for refinancing possibilites and options, the number of available programs these days is staggering. Contact a creative thinking, well connected mortgage broker. I can tell you we have a few here who can help you. Fellow member Mike Pine is one I can personally recommend. Send him an email or PM and he'll help you out.

Just how expensive would the pre-pay be? It might be less expensive to pay it than to hold and miss out on the other side.

You have not been in the property for 2 years. Check to see if you qualify for an exception and therefore could get the maximum tax savings for your residence if you sell now. You are coming up on the 2 year mark and might just hit it anyway.

The goal is to move and to make it tax efficient. Holding a third rental might not be required.

As you noted if you were to take the profits and put them into a property in the new market you might have better upside. You did not mention if you need to buy a home to live in there. If you move the cash to buy a larger home then you need you would not be much better off. If you can buy both a home to live and a rental or otherwise use the extra cash to buffer any problems with the two present rentals you might have a real winner.

It might take a while to sell in the present market so be prepared for a holding period.

John Corey