The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Seller marketing debate

OK

Suppose you were able to get your message in the hands of EVERY homeowner in your target area - all at once - and at 20 cents a head. Now what?

The MAJORITY - who are not selling their houses - will trash it and WILL NOT remember you from Adam if and when the time comes that they do need to sell. That is why we are saying that this approach is a waste of your money.

What is left is a diverse group of people that may or may not need your services. This group of people are in so many different stages of motivation that your message is likely to fly right on by them UNLESS you touch a specific nerve with the text in your mailout.

What you need to do is divide this group into bite sized chucks. Tailor-make a message that will strike a nerve and get it in their hands.

If I am understanding you correctly, you are looking for one message that will appeal to everyone in that second group of people and make them call you. Admiral goal, but cannot think of a single phrase that would do the trick. What could you possibly say to a bitter divorcee that would be equaly effective on the distraught daughter of the newly departed and still just as effective on the people in countless other scenarios that lead people to selling a house AND are all at different levels of motivation?

All I am trying to say is that there is a way to filter out all the people in group A (non-sellers) so that you do not have to spend a dime on them and that the people in group B are in too many different places mentally for a "catch-all" message to be effective.

It is truly like flushing cash down the toilet.

The money you save can be used to repeat several mini-campaigns several times throughout the year - which is vital to your success as people flow in and out of the many scenarios in group B all the time.

If you just shoot out a non-specific, non-nerve striking message to everyone with unimpressive results, where will the money (or motivation) come from to do it again??

Is this making ANY sense??

Other than MLS, FSBO and FRBO, how do you market ONLY to sellers?

BTW the above are the groups I've marketed to, I've never marketed to the general public. So when I say 20 cents per lead I mean 20 cents per call from someone who is actively trying to sell.

Ok folks, let's get to the bottom of this here and now!

We all already know the "magic" phrase that draws buyers like flies and makes marketing your typical house a quick and inexpensive proposition, namely: RENT TO OWN

Even though the majority of respondees couldn't afford a mud hut much less a house. We still get an avalanche of buyers and in amongst the debris we sort and sift our way to a few real gems. The other thing about Rent to Own is that you might put out $10 worth of signs and get 50 buyer leads. At 20 cents a lead it's pretty easy not to care if you have to throw 49 of them away.

So... what's the "RENT TO OWN" equivilent for Sellers? Is there a message that brings sellers rolling in at 20 cents a lead?

Doug:

You bring great questions to the table.

Craigslist.com Keep the replies so simple it pulls in questions to reply to. I get all my contracts from there.

Example- I want to buy your house at your FULL ASKING PRICE.

Would you not reply to this? I had one guy say he would leave the keys under the door.

Craig

Craig, I've advertised like crazy on craigslist for my area and haven't got a single response.

I replied to a bunch of ads and did get a few replies from people trying to sell businesses in northern Ontario. None of them would sign options.

I wish I had the magic phrase, but I've had some luck with "Tired of Landlording?" including a gal who called and said "it's not selling, maybe you want it for a rental" and sold us her townhouse Sub2 for barely half what she paid for it 4 months before; it came with a mortgage of half its FMV, and equally small payments. We did promise her a back end of $9k (front end $1k), Leased it quickly for $3800 down, so far we're ahead about $2000. We pulled an O & E, but any title problems/expenses will come off of the back end-it's in our contract--ensuring her compliance throughout the process.