The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Doug Pretorius (ON)

Reaching listed sellers

Hey guys, as I mentioned on the conference call the other night, I've been sending postcards to listed sellers. The response is pretty good as we discussed. However the postage adds up pretty quick. Here in Canada a postcard is the same as a letter, currently 51 cents.

I've been trying to think of a cheaper way to reach these sellers, but haven't come up with anything. I mean I can blanket areas with flyers for about 12 cents but that doesn't target only the listed houses and so would end up costing even more.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to reach this particular group at a lower cost? I've tried working with the agents but that's been a total waste of time up to this point. Besides, paying the commission would cost MUCH more than sending a mailer to every house on the market.

.51 is pretty steep for a postcard. Doesn't the Yukon Post Office offer varying services of mail, say some sort of Third Class, where the postage would be considerably less expensive in exchange for a slower level of service. If they do, since your mailings are strictly local, the delay might be but a day or two.

I'll give you an example of what I mean. If I were to send a piece of mail to another location, say anywhere in Florida, one option would be Priority Mail. That would cost me, depending upon the weight, around $6, with an expected delivery time of two days. That same package shipped via something called Media Mail would cost only $2.55, and would be delivered within three days.

Not that I can find. They do have a service called Addressed Admail which is 37 cents, but you have to send at least 1,000 pieces. I'm not quite ready to go that big for a single mailing just yet.

Hey guys,

I sent out 1290 postcards to listed property owners yesterday without even touching ONE card! It only cost me $390.00! That's a great price when you think it only took me 10 minutes!

Here's what you do:

Step 1. Create a postcard and save it as a .pdf file

Step 2. Get your list and save it in Microsoft Excel (Instructions for format are on the link below)

Step 3. Go to the link below and hit "Send Postcards (Option 1)

Step 4. Upload everything and pay with your credit card! DONE!

http://www.usps.com/netpost/netpost.htm?fr...netpostprevious

Enjoy,

Adam

There is several great benifits using USPS.com I have been using them for 3 years now. I recently started using them by doing personalized post cards...

Dear Sam,

I am interested in buying your property at 2140 86th ct. We can buy your house yadayada yada.

Hey guys,

I sent out 1290 postcards to listed property owners yesterday without even touching ONE card! It only cost me $390.00! That's a great price when you think it only took me 10 minutes!

Why are you guys focusing on houses that are listed? Are you looking for CA's or pure options?

Rich, the idea is to be in their face when they get pissed off with their agent's inability to sell their house, and they're ready to try something new.

Rich, the idea is to be in their face when they get pissed off with their agent's inability to sell their house, and they're ready to try something new.

Thanks for the reply. That does make sense. So do you use a pretty generic WE buy Houses postcard then? I have been sending them to out of state owners with little success, and might try this.

Yeah "We Buy Houses" works. As you can tell from my signature I like:

House Still NOT Sold?

Can you imagine how that question would start to grate on your nerves by the nth month of failed open houses and price reductions? OUCH! :)

Hey guys, as I mentioned on the conference call the other night, I've been sending postcards to listed sellers. The response is pretty good as we discussed. However the postage adds up pretty quick. Here in Canada a postcard is the same as a letter, currently 51 cents.

I've been trying to think of a cheaper way to reach these sellers, but haven't come up with anything. I mean I can blanket areas with flyers for about 12 cents but that doesn't target only the listed houses and so would end up costing even more.

Do you guys have any ideas on how to reach this particular group at a lower cost? I've tried working with the agents but that's been a total waste of time up to this point. Besides, paying the commission would cost MUCH more than sending a mailer to every house on the market.

Yup. I have the answer!

You COULD send a Letter of Intent. If you're already working with a kick'ass Realtor, he will do it for you. Obviously, you would offer much less than the house is listed for as well. However, this could be a waste of time.

So if you're short on time, like I always am, I prefer to wait until the listing has expired!

Therefore, I target EXPIRED LISTINGS! Please note that they need to be aged by at least 90 days old.

How do I manage that?

Well, as you should know by now, I have a partnership with my Realtor (which I met at my investment group 3 years ago so he knows what I'm trying to accomplish as an INVESTOR who's trying to flip / do creative no money down deals).

I just give him my criteria, and voila, he gives me EXACTLY what I want and need within a day or so.

Next, I mail out a very interesting and intriguing LETTER to these folks (this is a secret) :) .

Like I've mentioned in a previous message on this board here, I get a 33 1/3 response rate. Which is awesome.

Here's what I accomplish:

1) Not only is the homeowner pissed that their house didn't sell at an inflated price, but it didn't sell at all. Not Good!

2) Not only do I save a ton of time by just blank marketing an area and hoping that I'll get a warm one, I target exactly the type of homeowners that I'm looking for. Very Good!

3) Because of that, I save a ton of money too! EXCELLENT!

The trick here is finding a Realtor who will work with you and is willing to help you with YOUR business as they know that they will get a ton of business back from you in the future. He is someone who is always available to take your call or answer your e-mails and will do whatever YOU want him/her to do and at anytime. AT NO COST TO YOU EITHER!

Doug, I also have an investor-friendly Realtor in Toronto (the Beaches to be exact) too. As a matter of fact, she was just on T.V. yesterday and Thursday on the show "Take This House and Sell It". That was cool to watch her in action.

Just let me know if and when you want me to hook you up with her.

Cheers,

Jean