The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
jg714

What are the advantages of using the MLS?

For buying it's a great list source because you don't waste money marketing to people who aren't interested in selling.

For selling conventionally you get a bunch of agents, so there's a chance that one of them will trip over a buyer for your house.

For selling creatively there's no advantage except maybe for reaching out-of-town buyers.

From an investors point of view, What are the advantages of using the MLS?

The MLS places your house nation wide. Or should I say, when a listing is imputted to the MLS, it is then placed in 3-6 more nationally known websites.

Ex: listing in Ntreis, then goes to REALTOR.com, then to local association, then on to several more, sometimes not. Depends how big your area is.

So I guess the anwser to your question is, that it helps get your listing out their, some are for ALL to see(Realtor.com) some are just for the REALTOR(Ntreis) to see & use for their clients.

Some sites charge for the general public to see some don't. Some want you to sign up first, so they then have your info, etc..Anyway, if you have a Realtor list your property that's where it will go, it doesn't COST you a dime to do that, you will have to pay the commission when it does sell, if you are the seller.

But so what, pay the commission, you have sold your house, and got your money. List high enough to recoup some of the commission.

This is where some Investors screw up, they USE several REALTORS to the point of burnout. The Realtor only gets paid when it sells. So, my suggestion is to have ONE REALTOR you can work with on a consistent basis, scatch their backs and they scatch yours.

They can bring you tons of properties, list them for you too and do it again & again. Make sense? I have rambled enough..... :angry:

They can bring you tons of properties, list them for you too and do it again & again.
Cha-ching-cha-ching goes the commission machine while the investor goes bankrupt :angry:

For selling creatively there's no advantage except maybe for reaching out-of-town buyers.

If you can reach out-of-town buyers, couldnt you also reach in town buyers?

Yes but your signs and ads already do that for you and you don't have to pay a commission. Remember agents screen tenant/buyers out of their buyer lists because they can't qualify for a mortgage. So the only advantage of a MLS listing would be if the T/Bs themselves are visiting the websites where your listing is advertised.

From an investors point of view, What are the advantages of using the MLS?
As a buyer, if you have the good fortune of knowing an investor friendly Agent, access to deals that may have slipped beneath the radar, maybe a fixer/motivated seller/soon to be expired listing, etc.

As a seller, exposure on the MLS, but at the cost of paying a commission when the property sells.

They can bring you tons of properties, list them for you too and do it again & again.
Cha-ching-cha-ching goes the commission machine while the investor goes bankrupt :)

Now Doug, why would you think that? ;)

Look at it this way, IF you have a Realtor you WORK WITH, and you two have a relationship, they can bring lots to the table. You then can buy more and they can sell more.

Who is making the most money?

I know when I sell/buy as an Investor I am making a lot more money, than when I sell as a Realtor.

I am only saying, If you can find 10 houses on your own in a say 6-12 month period and only a couple turn to deals, you made money on vs.

If you have a good working relationship with a Realtor that can bring you say 50 houses a month with you making deals with 2-5 EVERY month......

and the Realtor is only making 1-3% on every deal you do....who is making the bucks?.....

YOU are but it is because you have a good working relationship. I am not trying to make you mad/upset at all, so don't take it that way....

I am a Realtor and I am an Investor....so maybe I am different than most Realtors you have dealt with. I do agree some do not understand Investors or Investing in Real Estate.

I have worked with Investors(with my Realtor hat on), some good, some bad. I have done some good deals, and have been USED/BURNED too.

I learned from that and will not repeat. I find now, I can do more deals by retailing to end-buyers than trying to get an Investor involved.(ask me how I know)

I mainly keep my license just so I have access to MLS and other records most Investors do not.

Anyway, sorry for long winded. Just my thoughts...

Have a great day!

If you have a good working relationship with a Realtor that can bring you say 50 houses a month with you making deals with 2-5 EVERY month......

and the Realtor is only making 1-3% on every deal you do....who is making the bucks?.....

Refer an agent here who will bring me 50 creative deals a month and charge only 1-3% commission and I'll have your baby.

Refer an agent here who will bring me 50 creative deals a month and charge only 1-3% commission and I'll have your baby.

When do you want to get started?........ :)

I don't want another baby......... ;)

Yup, me giving birth and winning the lottery and being hit by lightening while pigs fly overhead, is more likely than finding the agent described above.

Yup, me giving birth and winning the lottery and being hit by lightening while pigs fly overhead, is more likely than finding the agent described above.

Funny.

Like I said I'm ready when you are.... my area of expertise is in Texas... ;)

Funny.

Like I said I'm ready when you are.... my area of expertise is in Texas... ;)

Southernbelle,

You got mail !

- Rahul