The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Jason (AL)

Help a honkey name a website

Must be me, but I tried to visit your site last night and again just now. Both times I came up with nothing, literally. After taking forever to get to your homepage, I was looking at a blank page. B)

Hmmm....that's strange.

I coulda swore I disabled the Cool Italian Blocker as well. B)

How are people going to find your website??? if you think that people are going to type in bamahousebuyers into google them you might be dissappointed. If you want to end up with people finding your site by searching then you should name your website according to the search terms people typically use.

If you want to end up with people finding your site by searching then you should name your website according to the search terms people typically use.

That is actually great advice — if it was 1995. :D In 2007, finding a unique domain name relating to real estate (which a large section of the population will search on) is darn near impossible. The best you can do is have a key search term *in* the domain name. Jason has "house buyers," but so do thousands of other domain names. Lot's of people say "Bama" for "Alabama," so his domain name may turn out to be perfect for him.

At any rate, actual domain names are becoming increasingly irrelevant with regard to search engine rankings. To rank well, you need to build a quality site with good content (easier said than done, of course, but there really is no substitute for doing the work). Avoid Flash links and for the love of Pete avoid building your site in Flash. After that, you only need to concentrate on two main things to rank high:

1) Put the phrase(s) you want to rank well in the <title></title> tag and in at least one other area on the page.

2) Get links to your pages from other sites, especially from pages similar in content. You needn't obsess over external links. If you build a great site, other webmasters will link to it without you even asking them to.

That, naked investors, is 94% of search engine optimization. You can spend thousands of dollars and tons of time trying to work on that remaining 6%...but your pages aren't likely to rate any higher.

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

If you want to end up with people finding your site by searching then you should name your website according to the search terms people typically use.

That is actually great advice — if it was 1995. :D In 2007, finding a unique domain name relating to real estate (which a large section of the population will search on) is darn near impossible. The best you can do is have a key search term *in* the domain name. Jason has "house buyers," but so do thousands of other domain names. Lot's of people say "Bama" for "Alabama," so his domain name may turn out to be perfect for him.

At any rate, actual domain names are becoming increasingly irrelevant with regard to search engine rankings. To rank well, you need to build a quality site with good content (easier said than done, of course, but there really is no substitute for doing the work). Avoid Flash links and for the love of Pete avoid building your site in Flash. After that, you only need to concentrate on two main things to rank high:

1) Put the phrase(s) you want to rank well in the <title></title> tag and in at least one other area on the page.

2) Get links to your pages from other sites, especially from pages similar in content. You needn't obsess over external links. If you build a great site, other webmasters will link to it without you even asking them to.

That, naked investors, is 94% of search engine optimization. You can spend thousands of dollars and tons of time trying to work on that remaining 6%...but your pages aren't likely to rate any higher.

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

Good info., Dan.

thanks

- Rahul

Get links to your pages from other sites, especially from pages similar in content.
Shouldn't we all be linking to each other's sites then? So long as we're not in each other's markets and direct competition for each other, of course.

Get links to your pages from other sites, especially from pages similar in content.
Shouldn't we all be linking to each other's sites then? So long as we're not in each other's markets and direct competition for each other, of course.

Good idea, Doug. Why don't you all link to The Naked Investor? In exchange, I'll let you post for free and put really cool avatars under your name!

gotta question?

So a "Seller" goes to your site because he/she wants to sell.... he/she then clicks on your NakedInvestor links, starts reading a bit.... and is like.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I can do this, all I have to do is buy MCs manual and I am in business (thanks for the link buddy he/she thinks)

Now I am sure not all will be like that.... but what are your thoughts???

gotta question?

So a "Seller" goes to your site because he/she wants to sell.... he/she then clicks on your NakedInvestor links, starts reading a bit.... and is like.... hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I can do this, all I have to do is buy MCs manual and I am in business (thanks for the link buddy he/she thinks)

You gotta a problem with that. . .?? :D

Seriously, the likelihood of Joe Homeowner going ahead and doing something like that is slim. Most homeowners sell two or three houses in their lifetime. To think they are going to suddenly become interested in doing this on their own isn't likely. But, if that is a concern of your's, William, don't link to the site. But then I'll to start charging you by the word. :D

Shouldn't we all be linking to each other's sites then?
I'll do some link exchanges with some folks, if they're interested.

Doing so also increases search engine stats.

So long as we're not in each other's markets and direct competition for each other, of course.

I think I've got Alabama on lock.

Not likely to happen, although I do see what you're saying.

Like Michael said, they may buy & sell a couple of houses in their lifetime.

I think we've got a slight advantage by matching or exceeding those

#s in any given month.

Besides, with all the creative real estate knowledge I've sponged up

over the years, it eventually took me 2 years before I signed up my 1st deal.

It's been proven over the years that the majority fall into this category, with

a multitude of reasons for procrastinating.

So no need to sweat it.

;)

Just caught this:

How are people going to find your website??? if you think that people are going to type in bamahousebuyers into google them you might be dissappointed. If you want to end up with people finding your site by searching then you should name your website according to the search terms people typically use.

Then Dan pretty much summed up what I was about to reply with.

Believe me, Geoff, I've done my homework on what to name it and

use a myriad of SEO tactics to get my desired results, should I

care to do so. Also, I didn't name it so folks can do site searches on my

domain name.

I named it so because (1)it's easy to remember & (2) it pretty much says

all you need to know --I can slap a bandit sign up anywhere with just

BamaHouseBuyers.com, and I'm sure I'd get "the right people"

coming to my site, and it would take all but 2 seconds to figure out

what the site is about --all without even ever going to the site.

On the other hand, I'm not focusing on page rankings with

Google & Yahoo...although this is a plus.

Rather, I'm using it primarily to do any question answering and "selling" while I'm asleep

@ 3 in the morning and/or making moonshine out back, as I won't

have time for 300 questions during these occasions.

yea, I didn't think they would just go do it themselves right off the bat, I am very green to this.... so not sure how a seller would react to finding your source... is all... :lol:

what would the going rate (per word) be anyhow? ;)

what would the going rate (per word) be anyhow? :lol:
Depends. How much are you putting down, and how's your credit? ;)