The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
IStealHouses

Just Starting Out

Nice site, Dan. Mind if I steal a few ideas from you? :)

Steal away, my Northern friend. I'm constantly trying out your suggestions!

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

That's a real nice looking site Dan (SOCAl).

I have to ask, I hope you don't mind...How much of of that "move in money" do you get to pocket? :o

DAN, Hey man this is amazing! Seeing deals done in my own backyard (literally) is very motivating. Is there anyway you and I can get together for lunch on me? Id love to have a mentor I can meet with and share experiences with. Anything I can do in return I will- maybe bird dog for you at first in return for some experience and tips.

Jared

Nice site, Dan. Mind if I steal a few ideas from you? :)

Steal away, my Northern friend. I'm constantly trying out your suggestions!

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

I have to ask, I hope you don't mind...How much of of that "move in money" do you get to pocket? :o

Thanks, Steve. MC taught me not to negotiate with my assignment/option money and it has been the best thing for me. I managed to give away $4600 to the seller on my first deal, but not a dime since then. I make sure my sellers get a cashiers check for first month's rent and a security deposit equal to first month's rent (included in the T/B's move-in payment); everything else is mine.

Today, when a seller asks if I'm willing to share half my option money, I ask if he's willing to share half his equity. :) I also point out that there's no secret to what I'm doing....if he wants to structure the lease, the option, the rent credits ("the rent credits?!!") and find a T/B for himself, then he certainly doesn't need me and he can keep ALL of the option money.

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

DAN, Hey man this is amazing! Seeing deals done in my own backyard (literally) is very motivating. Is there anyway you and I can get together for lunch on me?

Free lunch? :) I'm sure there's a way we can get together, Jared. Contact me.

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

Yeah, I agree with the others.

That's a nice site & gig you got going on in the Golden State.

It just so happens that I've tailored my site to something

similar to yours.

So don't be thinkin' I stole something. :)

Where do you get the majority of your leads?

Where do you get the majority of your leads?

I primarily target homeowners who have their properties for rent. I'm also working with a couple of investors who buy properties and have me set up LPs for them. I've landed one from working the FSBOs on Craigslist and I have a financial planner who has sent me a couple of good leads. Satisfied home owners who I've set up LP's for have referred me to other deals.

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

Is your ability to collect that much option money simply due to the price of housing out there?

How long does it usually take to find someone with that much?

Is your ability to collect that much option money simply due to the price of housing out there?

I'm thinking yes: $500,000 house x 3% = $15,000 option.

How long does it usually take to find someone with that much?

16 - 28 days. The longest I've had a house that sells is 28 days. If they go past that (45 - 60 days) I end up giving them back, and unfortunately I've had my share of those.

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

If they go past that (45 - 60 days) I end up giving them back, and unfortunately I've had my share of those.
Dan, what's the percentage between sold/unsold?

Dan, what's the percentage between sold/unsold?

I'm averaging 60% sold. Of the 40% that didn't sell, my gut feeling on half of those was that they would be tough to move, generally because of the condition or oddball layout. The other 20% were surprising and I hated to lose them. I don't do well with even slightly ratty homes, and do extraordinarily well with pristine homes in nice neighborhoods.

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC

Our tastes are remarkably similar. I can sell a house that needs some touch-ups but nothing major. Generally I just go with my own feeling toward the property when I'm in it. If I can see myself living there I'll sign the deal, if not, forget it.

Our tastes are remarkably similar. I can sell a house that needs some touch-ups but nothing major. Generally I just go with my own feeling toward the property when I'm in it. If I can see myself living there I'll sign the deal, if not, forget it.
Doug, I don't care if the house appeals to me personally. Someone, somewhere will buy the property. I'm more concerned with the numbers. If the deal is a good one, it'll move.

(Although there is some truth to my theory that ugly houses attract ugly tenants.) :)

Michael, no question the numbers come first for me too. It's not so much that I CAN'T sell a house I don't like, it's more than I would rather not try. Especially if it's going to be a long-term situation. Hmmm. You know what? If I run out of houses I like to do deals on, then I'll give it a try on one I don't :)

Nice website Dan.

Is the property that you are currently selling a CA or a SLO?

What percentage of your deals are CA vs. SLO?

Nice website Dan.

Is the property that you are currently selling a CA or a SLO?

What percentage of your deals are CA vs. SLO?

Thanks, JRG. I started out thinking SLO, but have never done one. All CAs so far. I'm still on the lookout for deals with enough room in them to do a sandwich, but so far CAs are the only thing that make sense.

Dan

Freedom Creek LLC