The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
MichaelC

Angry Realtors Are Emailing Me

I'm actually an agent.

However, I'm doing "inside work".

:glare:

You really are Superman, aren't you?! :angry:

Yeah....pretty much, bro.

I mean...shoot.....yeah...

I'd say so.

What's your super power?

Pissing real estate agents

off with your superior solutions is

somewhere on that list, I suppose.

I just picked up a nice house yesturday from a very motivated "Florida" realtor who has been trying to sell his personal house up here in my neck of the woods. Great Guy and a sweet SLO!

I think the issue is that sites like Craigslist were set up for FSBOs to offer another advertising avenue for the many folks who do not want to use realtors and want to sell their properties more creatively. Realtors have their MLS. It's their choice that they don't share it with out strings attached. There is a thing called free trade in our capitalistic society and to have a business monopoly snuffs that out. We all work hard to make our business work and should be able to offer alternatives other than the dated realtor listing system. To have a realtors association that tries to dominate the whole market thru legislation and keep others form going after and reaching their dream of owning a real estate business in a different way is just bull!@#$ and not American!

I just picked up a nice house yesturday from a very motivated "Florida" realtor who has been trying to sell his personal house up here in my neck of the woods. Great Guy and a sweet SLO!
Sweet deal, Steve.

What's the story & #s on this one?

I think the issue is that sites like Craigslist were set up for FSBOs to offer another advertising avenue for the many folks who do not want to use realtors and want to sell their properties more creatively. Realtors have their MLS. It's their choice that they don't share it with out strings attached. There is a thing called free trade in our capitalistic society and to have a business monopoly snuffs that out. We all work hard to make our business work and should be able to offer alternatives other than the dated realtor listing system. To have a realtors association that tries to dominate the whole market thru legislation and keep others form going after and reaching their dream of owning a real estate business in a different way is just bull!@#$ and not American!

Very well stated.

This should be written in stone,

then smashed upside their noggins!

Excellent post, Steve. And it reminded me of this article I found a while back: Real Estate Cartels.

I have a cousin that is a realtor......I woudn't let her sell me a tube of toothpaste. My mom was a realtor at one time, I'd trust her opinion a lot more. We do tend to disagree at times and she doesn't always understand all of the concepts I'm laying out as they don't teach that stuff in realtor school.

Well I had to chime in. This is going to be funny.

Today I went to my sign guy to get some metal signs made.

I also ordered two new mags for the SUV.

The signs I ordered had my real estate brokerage company on them.

So did my Mags.

Well today around 5:00pm I get a call from the owner stating he is locking up.

I wanted my signs for the weekend because I listed 3 of my own homes.

Well he waited for me and realized that the Mags and the Signs were really for me.

He said, "Jon are things that bad that you had to get a job as a realtor......"

I about fell over laughing.

. . .He said, "Jon are things that bad that you had to get a job as a realtor......"

I about fell over laughing.

:glare: Classic! If I can buy the reprint rights from you I just may copy and paste this over on Craig's List!

I would do two things.

First - if the ad is clearly marked as represented by a realtor I would change your message to address working with the realtor. Most realtors don't understand lease options - they can't figure out how to get paid. You can choose to either educate them or find a more knowledgable realtor.

Second - if the ad isn't marked as represented by a realtor you "could" mention that the realtor rules require that notification to be present. Insinuating that rudeness from them will result in a notification from you to their board of realtors that they are ignoring the rules.

Hope this helps.

Signed,

A Realtor & Investor.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, and welcome to The Naked Investor.

We're not anti-Realtor here, I swear! :lol: I just sort of posted that email for some comic relief and to antagonize a few folks. Keeps me loose. :)

Glad you found us. An investor friendly Realtor is worth his weight in lump crab meat, (Sorry. I'm having cravings). B)

Most realtors don't understand lease options - they can't figure out how to get paid. You can choose to either educate them or find a more knowledgable realtor.

Hi Geoff,

I can't figure out how to pay realtors. Any suggestions?

Most realtors don't understand lease options - they can't figure out how to get paid. You can choose to either educate them or find a more knowledgable realtor.

Hi Geoff,

I can't figure out how to pay realtors. Any suggestions?

How hungry is the Realtor??? How much commission is involved??? Are they getting both sides? Is the deal sweet enought to consider paying them from your pocket? All kidding aside you need to find out about them and solve their issues. In most cases it's tough. Once you have some info you may consider paying some % of the commission once you take over the property and collect the balance once it closes on the option, or maybe per month? EVERYTHING is negotiable! You may want to try negotiating some payola from the owner of the property depending on their pain level.

Geoff

Geoff, I don't negotiate with buyers or sellers so I don't think I should start with realtors. So how about this:

If you ("you" being the realtor in question not YOU personally) have a listing that you want me to buy on a RTO then I'll pay you 1 month's rent upfront. Anything beyond that you have to negotiate with the seller.

Oh yes and "Take it or leave it." B)

I don't negotiate with buyers or sellers so I don't think I should start with realtors.

B) How are you able to not speak to buyers and sellers still manage do deals Doug?

Steve, I talk to them, I just don't "negotiate" with them. Actually that's not entirely true. I will negotiate DOWN from my first offer B)