The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
sdkone

Investors : Real Estate License or not?

Ok, so who here is a seasoned investor and holds an active or inactive real estate license? I originally wanted a license simply to take advantage of selling, buying and viewing my own properties but about half way through the course I realized that being a real estate agent and a landlord come with a lot of legalities. Any input would be great?

Steve,

Overall, I think having a license is an advantage, as long as you don't forget you're an investor first.

There are several board members who are licensed, that I know of. In fact, one of them is up your way in the Atlanta area: Sholanda.

I think you are right and I’m going to give it a shot. Worst case scenario I can always put my license on inactive status. Wish me luck; my state exam is on the 2nd :glare:

I just took a 3 month course here in Atlanta. It was one of the longer and more expensive courses but you get what you pay for. Very in-depth class. I definitely learned a lot of new material. I would highly recommend the class even if you are only going to put your license on inactive status or simply not apply for a license at all.

Honestly they should teach most of this material in High School. It would definitely give students coming out of high school a better grasp on why credit scores are important and the general knowledge that you should know when obtaining a property, IMO.

Maybe I should just get it over with and become my own worst enemy. Just one question... can you still complain about realtors when you are one, or is it against the code of ethics? :glare:

Steve, truth-be-told I've debated whether or not to get my license since I started in this business 7 years ago. Still haven't decided :glare:

. . .Steve, truth-be-told I've debated whether or not to get my license since I started in this business 7 years ago. Still haven't decided :angry:
:glare: . . . :glare: . . . :Dfaint.jpg

Ok, so who here is a seasoned investor and holds an active or inactive real estate license? I originally wanted a license simply to take advantage of selling, buying and viewing my own properties but about half way through the course I realized that being a real estate agent and a landlord come with a lot of legalities. Any input would be great?

Steve,

I personnaly like having mine, because of the info I can search on my own.

So what about the legalities.... YOU DO EVERYTHING UP FRONT AND ABOVE BOARD...NO WORRIES....

When I am wearing my "Investor hat" the clients know that I am here to sell/buy as an Investor...however, I am also a Realtor....but not in this case. understand?

When I have my Realtor hat on it's reverse..

Just my 2 cents...

Maybe I should just get it over with and become my own worst enemy. Just one question... can you still complain about realtors when you are one, or is it against the code of ethics? ;)

Steve, truth-be-told I've debated whether or not to get my license since I started in this business 7 years ago. Still haven't decided B)

You must have met some bad apples.........

I admit some Realtors I know ain't worth their oats,... however there are many that are....LIKE ME!

Like I said , I like mine, cause if I am in need of research, comps etc..it is at my fingertips. I am not having to call a Realtor and w..a..i..t for them to get me the info. The property would already be snapped up.

All I know for sure is that it's impossible to work with realtors on L/Os or CFDs here in Ontario.

Pure options are a different story though. I find most realtors look at me as a buyers agent of sorts, and since the deal involves what they know and understand (a conventional sale) quite a few are ok with it. Not all, not even close to the majority, but still quite a few.

The tricky part is getting those POs at a good price.

One would wonder that if you simply told them:

"Let me do my thing, you'll get paid in the end..."

You could omit how you're going about getting it done, though.

The simpler, the better.

It's kind of hard to omit how you're going to do what you're going to do when the agent has to present the contract to the seller. That's why simpler offers (like pure options) are possible to get past the realtor-resistence while lease/options are not.

I think somebody needs to see if MC is Ok. He fainted a few post up . . . B)

Will a license make you more money? We can get just about the same info. now these days that only realtors had privy to in the past. A realtor can represent a seller...I think I'd rather represent myself in a deal and call the shots. "In my opinion" ;) and listening to folks, realtors do not seem to be needed like they used to be. The way they do things is dated. Got a computer you got tons of info. to buy and sell real estate. Hell, you can even start a real estate business of your own with that PC!

Ok, so who here is a seasoned investor and holds an active or inactive real estate license?

Nope! Me not interested in getting licensed (ever) for the simple fact that most families run for their lives when they hear the words realtor/agent/broker

I have been offered (begged) to get lic a gazillion times by brokers/realtors, they've even put me to the test a few times and had me show some houses for them and 3 out of 6 showings I did bought the house .. ;) So now what they do is, they have me sign a lil' contract (drawn up by their in-house attorney) and call me to show a house or two for them when they want a for sure sale.. geeesh, I don't know how to take that :)

BEV!

Yes, they pay me my share of the profits, but I'm not comfortable doing $$ this way :glare: