The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Steve Morton

Going to the sellers home.

Hey naked investors.

I'm finding that I do just fine with seller's until it becomes time to go meet them at their house. I have to admit, the few times that I've gone out to meet people have felt really awkward.

Is this just a newbie thing that will pass once I have a little more experience, or should I arrange for someone else to bring the paperwork out as well as inspect the property?

Can anyone give me a specific process to use on how they get the deal signed once they're in the house, without coming off as a sleazy salesman type?

The only reason to go see a house in my book is to sign a contract.

I make that clear over the phone when talking to the seller.

As far as the steps I am assuming you mean doing a SLO type of deal.

Bring two sets of everything you need to have signed. Have Seller sign your copy and you sign theirs.

The only reason to go see a house in my book is to sign a contract.

I make that clear over the phone when talking to the seller.

As far as the steps I am assuming you mean doing a SLO type of deal.

Bring two sets of everything you need to have signed. Have Seller sign your copy and you sign theirs.

Like Jonathan said, there is no reason to be looking a homes for the sake of seeing someone's granite countertops. With few exceptions, I must have a verbal agreement with the homeowner before venturing out to see the property. Then, I'm going to see if the house meets my expectations. Not vice versa. I have nothing to sell at that point, other than some fine tuning and minor details. I know it sounds counter intuitive, but try and start making your offers over the phone, contingent upon your inspection, of course. What's the point of looking at a house if you and the homeowners can't reach any kind of agreement in the first place.

With this approach, going to the house and getting the papers signed is just a formality.

Hey guys. Thanks for the response.

With the last seller I met with, I was almost certain that we had an upfront agreement on the terms of the deal. We discussed the monthly payment, the length of the lease, as well as how much he could expect to receive when he sold it.

I'd sent him the lease purchase advantage, as well as the frequently asked questions forms, so he would have all the answers he needed right in front of him to make his decision on whether or not he wanted to do a lease purchase deal.

However, after I arrived at his house and took a quick look around, the guy wanted me to sit down and explain all of the details of the deal to him all over again, as if we hadn't already just discussed it before on the phone.

After I took the time to do this, he gave me the old "I need to think about it " blow off. Then, to make it even worse, his Realtor came over as I was about to leave. :huh:

I could be wrong, but I kind of got the impression that he only said he agreed to the terms of the deal on the phone because he wanted to come over and talk to him face to face before he actually made a decision.

It's not just this guy though, it seems like everyone I talk to wants me to run over to their house first and make some kind of presentation to them before they're willing to make a decision.

In the future, is there anything specific I can say to the homeowner to get a FIRM commitment from them before I waste any more time traveling out to their house. Should I insist on them signing the short offer form first even if it's for a C.A.?

Thanks.

Steve, based on your description of what went down, I don't know what else you could have done. This guy clearly wasn't being honest and upfront in his dealings with you.

If this is becoming a trend, you're going to have to be more direct. Before visiting the property and the owner, ask them on the telephone what additional questions they have. After all questions are answered make it clear your only reason for going over is to get the paperwork completed. Questions can be answered via phone and email.