The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Mr Saint

I'm now an appraiser!!

Hey everybody,

I'm an official state registered real property appraiser.

An opportunity presented itself about 4 months ago to get into the appraisal business. It wasn't necessarily something I've been wanting to do, however I've been looking to change jobs here for a long time, and what better place to go than real estate :) . Anyway, I did the schooling, passed the exam, and will start appraising sometime next week. One of the good things about it is I will be driving around my LP farm area everyday so I'll be able to gather tons of leads. I'll also have a little more time to devote to the Lease Purchase biz as well.

Of course, I'm just a noob :rolleyes: appraiser, but I'd like to open the window for anyone with questions on determining property values to ask away. If I don't know the answer, I now have numerous "co-workers" with plenty of experience.

Happy Investing!

Good move, and a great tie in to this business, in my opinion. I'm happy for you! It can only help you to better learn your local marketplace, and to gather leads and contacts that will benefit you immediately and in the long run.

Congratulations, and best wishes with your new venture.

I'm curious........in your state are you now required to work as an "apprentice", (for lack of a better word), with an established appraiser for a certain period of time, or are you free to go out on your own as an independent?

I just wanted to say thank you for the offer to help us determine the value of properties. I am sure that someone (coughmecough) will take ya up on it.

One of these days, I too will be able to offer info from an "experienced" point of view. :rolleyes:

Thank You

-Jason

I'm curious........in your state are you now required to work as an "apprentice", (for lack of a better word), with an established appraiser for a certain period of time, or are you free to go out on your own as an independent?

Michael,

Yea your right, I'm currently only a "registered" appraiser and will have to have my work signed off by someone else. Fortunately, I've landed a job with a company willing to put some time and effort into getting me up to speed...and pay me decent commission at the same time. Only after 2000 hours of appraisal work will I be able to get my license and be independent.

What a great idea! Do you also get MLS access? I've researched some of the allied real estate fields and this one seems likely - without the constraints of having your real estate license.

There are so many benefits to this:

You will be moving about town (of course to find your sellers) driving to the homes, lget to know the market better, be in and out of homes all over the place AND be meeting people and networking!

As an aside< I have a dear friend in Chicago who is a well established appraiser. She does quite well at it.

Best wishes in your new venture and thanks for your offer to share your knowledge.

Option8

Option8,

Thanks for the wishes.

I'm not sure if I will have personal access to MLS; all my comparables will be already picked out and fed to me by my supervisor. Something to look into though. And again, ask away with questions and such. As I get more experience I should have a pretty good idea what kind of values are added with such things like decks, pools, bonus rooms, acreage, etc.

Hey Mr. Saint,

What a great idea!! I actually had the same idea a few months back. How long were you in school for, and what exactly do you have to do? Are you running your own business with that as well? Any information you have is appreciated, as always. Thanks.

Samantha

Samantha,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply, the last couple weeks have been crazy with the new job.

Basically, I took a 90 hour online appraisal course and then took the exam. That's it. I've been fortunate enought to have gotten hooked up with a company that pays very well for "apprentice" appraisers and are willing to train. I'm working as an independent contractor for them...so basically I'm self-employed (what a great feeling). I see it as a great position from where to do investing also. In fact, I got a few phone numbers from FSBO and FRBO signs I passed today while I was out appraising :D .

Mr Saint,

Im a Mortgage Broker in 45 states, what state are you in, I am always looking for appraisers who are eager to get work done in a timely fashion.

Best wishes in your new career.

Mike