The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Stan

Marketing on Craig's List

Curious about how everybody is using Craig's list for marketing. I haven't scrolled all the way back to the end of the list but the ads in my area seem to go back several weeks. Do you email to the newest leads right away or wait until they're two, three, four weeks old. Or does it really matter? But it seems to me that a seller would be less likely to do any kind of Option agreement when they first put their house up for sale. Thanks for the comments

Time is a great motivator, Stan. Not only on Craig's List, but anywhere FSBO's gather. Catch a homeowner two days after their house is on the market and they are optimistic and convinced that a full price, cash offer is but a day away. The likelihood of you making any headway with this mindset is slim.

But, that same homeowner six weeks later, after one mortgage payment made and another one looming, and with a noticeable dropoff in calls and looks, is much more likely to be receptive to your ideas. So, yeah, aging those ads isn't a bad idea.

Curious about how everybody is using Craig's list for marketing. I haven't scrolled all the way back to the end of the list but the ads in my area seem to go back several weeks. Do you email to the newest leads right away or wait until they're two, three, four weeks old. Or does it really matter? But it seems to me that a seller would be less likely to do any kind of Option agreement when they first put their house up for sale. Thanks for the comments

If you want a for sure customer (homeowner to say "yes") for a CA or SLO through Craigslist, do this........(if you haven't already done so)

Go to the Real Estate For Sale section on craigslist in whichever area you're interested in

Once there, do a search for the word "RENT"

This will spit out all the "for sale or rent" type of ads from homeowners/agents that are desperately in need of doing a SLO or CA on their houses but they just don't know it :lol:

BEV!

If you want a for sure customer (homeowner to say "yes") for a CA or SLO through Craigslist, do this........(if you haven't already done so)

Go to the Real Estate For Sale section on craigslist in whichever area you're interested in

Once there, do a search for the word "RENT"

This will spit out all the "for sale or rent" type of ads from homeowners/agents that are desperately in need of doing a SLO or CA on their houses but they just don't know it :lol:

BEV!

Bev & MC

Thanks for the tips. Good stuff.

Stan

Hi Bev,

Just spending time looking through all your fantastic posts/tips&tricks, especially on marketing. I was a little confused on the CL email you use below.. if the property is with an agent and they come back with YES the owner is interested, do you go ahead and try to work with the agent somehow? Or just ignore the reply?

Thank you!

Dan

The ad will say something like.. For info on this rental house please call John at 415-111-1212

(since I don't know if John is a realtor/agent/prop management or the owner).....My email reply would look something like this...

--------

Hey John, is the rental property in _____________ still available?

If so, do you know if the owner would be open to leasing it to pre-buyers instead of ordinary tenants on a rent to own basis? If so, I'm very much interested as I am currently assisting a family relocate to that area where they can purchase a property at the end of the lease. If the owner is interested and if the property meets our needs, I will take care of the entire transaction professionally for the owner at my expense to protect his/her rights in the deal.

Thank You,

SuperWoman :-)

Rent To Own Professional

Independent Consultant

(Not An Agent) <<<========== This is what gets me most of the biz

PS. If not interested, please disregard or forward this email to anyone you know of in need of filling their vacancies FAST with quality tenants.

Hi Bev,

Just spending time looking through all your fantastic posts/tips&tricks, especially on marketing. I was a little confused on the CL email you use below.. if the property is with an agent and they come back with YES the owner is interested, do you go ahead and try to work with the agent somehow? Or just ignore the reply?

Hello Dan,

I purposely address my emails that way to weed out the agents/realtors/prop mngmts

In this case I have not gotten many replies from agents/realtors telling me that the owner of the house is open to RTO

I've only gotten maybe 2 or 3 agents/realtors and I basically don't reply.

But on the other hand, I have had lots of realtors/R.E Brokers reply which I ended up RTOing the property but "only" because it was their personal investment properties, otherwise I won't go there :blush:

BEV!

Hi Bev,

Hello Dan,

I purposely address my emails that way to weed out the agents/realtors/prop mngmts

In this case I have not gotten many replies from agents/realtors telling me that the owner of the house is open to RTO

I've only gotten maybe 2 or 3 agents/realtors and I basically don't reply.

But on the other hand, I have had lots of realtors/R.E Brokers reply which I ended up RTOing the property but "only" because it was their personal investment properties, otherwise I won't go there :wub:

BEV!

Thanks Bev.. I assume that if the original ad states that its a agent/realtor/pm posting it, that you dont even bother emailing in the first place. In this area (Ft Lauderdale), looks like 95%+ of the CL rental postings are by agents :blush:

-Dan

..Thanks Bev.. I assume that if the original ad states that its a agent/realtor/pm posting it, that you dont even bother emailing in the first place.
True, but unfortunately none of them state that (and they are agents/realtors/prop m).

In this area (Ft Lauderdale), looks like 95%+ of the CL rental postings are by agents :wub:

In my area too, is just that 90% of the agents advertising in my area happen to be investors as well and have properties of their own that I end up RTOing for them. :blush:

BEV!

..Thanks Bev.. I assume that if the original ad states that its a agent/realtor/pm posting it, that you dont even bother emailing in the first place.
True, but unfortunately none of them state that (and they are agents/realtors/prop m).

In this area (Ft Lauderdale), looks like 95%+ of the CL rental postings are by agents :wub:

In my area too, is just that 90% of the agents advertising in my area happen to be investors as well and have properties of their own that I end up RTOing for them. :blush:

BEV!

Hmmm....helping agents needing help with their own properties.. now that is making lemons into lemonade!!!!!!

-Dan

Hmmm....helping agents needing help with their own properties.. now that is making lemons into lemonade!!!!!!
It also shows who the real experts in selling homes are :blush:

If only you all knew how these agents/realtors/brokers deals land on my lap, you would giggle too.. :wub:

Check this out, this is how it normally starts out.

They reply to my original email (above) with something like this...

" Please call me at 415-222-1212 to discuss this further" (that's all I get)

At this point I already know this is not a FRBO and most likely is an agent/broker/etc

So I put on my sarcastic hat and my "bring it on" armour shield and start dialing this person's ph number...

And it goes something like this...

Me: Hi this is Bev calling you per your request re: the property for rent on bla bla bla.

Him: Oh, hello thanks for calling.. about the rent to own, how will I get my commission if the deal goes through with one of your clients?

Me: Are you the owner of the property because I'm only interested in discussing the RTO process with the owner of the property?

Him: Nope, I'm not the owner but I am their agent and am licensed with the State.... Are you a licensed agent? (I love this question by the way lol)

Me: No way! But lucky for the agents in my area because they now know me and use my services constantly to RTO their personal investment properties professionally free of charge!

Him: REALLY?!! But agents are familiar with how this whole RTO works, why would they use your services?

Me: Would you go to a dentist to have braces put on your teeth or would you go to a professional specializing in braces? (is called orthodontics). Even though Dentist and Orthodontics work in the same area, they are 2 totally different things and process.

Him: Uhm... I own a brand new property in this area that I'm trying to rent out but after hearing your view, I think the RTO is a much better approach for me. Can you help me? What are your qualifications to get started?

Me: My qualifications are... "Current or Below market value of the property (price) and rent... and absolutely no signs on the property nor the yard... key of the property and your signature on some papers :-) "

Him: I'm free tomorrow... I can get you the comps for the area and rent market by tomorrow.. bla bla bla..

The End

BEV! :blush:

And this, my friends, is why BEV ROCKS!!

Watch and learn n00bs! :glare:

I think this gal could sell ice to the eskimos B)