The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Andrew Ikeda

Just started as a loan officer

Hello Everyone,

After some soul searching and serious pondering, I finally went out and got a job as a loan officer.

It seems like the thing to do because I can find out who will need financing and to offer it as a service in addition to l/p and creative real estate. I figured it is like more ammunition.

Also, I contacted a title company and got them to send me a free list of all the FSBO's in the county. It is free and they email it once a month on the 15th. They also provide a list of all properties nearing foreclosures or that might be available on a 'short-sale' basis. To top it all off, they are doing free comps for me... all of you should check into this if you havent already.

I'm seeing a bigger picture here and I hope this is not some dream or illusion.

Also saw that Mr. Saint started as an appraiser which is something I looked into but got rejected by the appraisers out here. Congratulations Mr. Saint!!

In any case, I think and hope that going this route will help my real estate business.

Feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Happy investing!

Sincerely,

Andrew

Congratulations on making a career move, Andrew. Is your baby almost here? Let us know how you are doing in that business. Great news about those leads you are getting for free too!!!

Congratulations, Andrew! That is, indeed, good news and a good move for you. It can only help to further your real estate education and round out your overall know how in this business. Plus, it will clearly pay a dividend making contacts with others in the business.

What state are you in? What training was required for you to get there?

It sounds like a good way to generate leads, and at the point that I am in, I need all the leads I can get. Expecially leads where I know that the seller is motivated!!

Thanks!!

-Jason

A.F. & A.M. 211

Thanks Everyone for your words of encouragement.

Jason, I am in Washington state. There are no requirements to be a processor or a loan officer, but there is to be a mortgage broker. Each state is different. I called on ads in the newspapers and even made a few cold calls to mortgage companies explaining that I was an investor and interested in learning more how mortgages work and that I would like to work in this field too.

The man I work with is like a coach. My mission right now is to lead people to him (Mark) and he and another processor do the rest of the work. He discourages me from learning the nitty-gritty of making loans and told me that being new, that will cause too much stress and ruin my health and I should only focus on meeting people and offering our service to them. The techical stuff he said I could learn later so I decided to just follow his advice for now. I'm still hungry for info and will attempt to get details later.

There are plenty of loan officer and processor openings in the area and the mortgage field is expected to continue at its torrid pace for the next year if not longer. I have plans to switch companies if I need to.

A few weeks ago I went to a rei club meeting in the area and most of the investors there are also mortgage brokers or loan officers. They told me the field is really hot right now and that is where I got my idea to follow suit. (before its too late!! :D

Jason, I hope the above helps. I suggest calling some loan officers in your area and just straight out ask them what you want to know.

Sincerely,

Andrew

Hi Samantha,

My wife and the baby are doing fine so far. We were given a due date for October 4th for the baby. I hope I can get my first deal by then so that due date is different!! :D

Our first visit to the clinic here was short and brief. The doc did not do an ultrasound but said he would do it next time (July 9). The docs in Korea wont tell the sex of the baby for fear that the parents will opt for abortion if it is not a boy (i.e. the first born) so we dont know the sex of the child yet. They are very strange with their thinking and attitude.

Anyways, thanks for asking and hope all is going well for you and school, etc.

Sincerely,

Andrew