The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
kah5683

Marketing for the noobie: Email or phone or both?

Started sending out emails to Craig's List today. Planning on continuing sending out so many a day to prime the pump, so to speak. I was also planning to start calling FRBO and FSBO from the Sunday papers to supplement the emails.

My question is: is this necessary? Would there be more than enough business from doing the Craig's List email marketing? I believe Bev does Craig's List exclusively, and if that is the case, you can't argue with success. But at this point, I will do whatever is necessary to get things off the ground.

So, oh learned forum participators, spend all my time and effort on the email campaign on Craig's List, or diversify into phoning from the Sunday papers?

(My aim is to keep my advertising cost to nil initially)

TIA,

Kevin

Rev Kev,

Congratulations for getting your feet wet. Good for you!

About Craigslist,.... I use it almost 100% to get my t/b's, but hardly ever I use it to get FRBO.

I much rather get FRBO's by making phone calls from the newspapers online .... why?

Because chances are that if a FRBO advertises on newspapers, they don't know about craigslist and don't advertise their property there, giving me the power to advertise it there.

I feel more comfortable advertising a property in a place where the owner won't see it (is a freedom / in-control thing :blush: )

I prefer phone calls to get FRBO than via email because of the personal touch and because with all the scams via email these days, some people delete or block the emails we send them thinking we're scams. :wub:

Plus, your confidence will explode in no time once you get used to talking to people on the phone about their property.

Tip: The best way to power boost ones confidence is to pick up the phone and have a very short conversation with home owners :lol:

BEV!

Excellent points all around, Bev.

I use both, Kev. But Bev is correct about the skepticism that emails are often met with. Say the exact same thing to a homeowner over the phone, and they may very well embrace you. Via email? You message will often end up in the trash bin. Nevertheless, you're a n00b as you say. So work both angles for the experience.

I don't use them, Chris. A Rent to Own sign on the lawn always, followed by online ads, mortgage brokers who have applicants who can't qualify today, flyers to any nearby apartment complexes, etc. But that's not to say you shouldn't use bandit signs. Try 'em. You may find them a very effective and cost efficent marketing tool.

I use a lawn sign and directionals at all major intersections all around the property. No need for any other marketing in my experience. Online marketing blows around here anyway, classifieds are too expensive and don't have the readership anymore, flyers are too fleeting, direct mail too expensive.

The only other thing I can think of that might work well although it would take a lot of effort, is to prospect the neighborhood by phone, saying something like: "Hi, I'm selling a house on a rent-to-own just around the corner on Leasey Lane, do you know anyone who wants to move into the area?"

MC and Bev,

Do you utilize bandit signs for t/b advertising?

Nah, ... I'm all Craigslist only.. Absolutely no signs, no brochures, etc.

I'd probably triple my earnings if I did use all of that I bet :glare:

BEV!

I'd probably triple my earnings if I did use all of that I bet :glare:

Hey, as long as you're comfortable with what you're earning, then it's all good, right?! B)

Rev Kev,

I much rather get FRBO's by making phone calls from the newspapers online .... why?

Because chances are that if a FRBO advertises on newspapers, they don't know about craigslist and don't advertise their property there, giving me the power to advertise it there.

I feel more comfortable advertising a property in a place where the owner won't see it (is a freedom / in-control thing :glare: )

BEV!

BEV!

You mean there are actually people in this world who have not heard of Craigslist? B)

Phil

BEV!

You mean there are actually people in this world who have not heard of Craigslist? :glare:

Phil

Phil....get this. I was chatting with a buddy of mine the other day about CL and he said "What's that?".....and he's an IT guy w/ a Master's degree in MIS...go figure!

Phil....get this. I was chatting with a buddy of mine the other day about CL and he said "What's that?".....and he's an IT guy w/ a Master's degree in MIS...go figure!

Too funny, Chris! I wish this was true for realtors :glare:

Phil

Too funny, Chris! I wish this was true for realtors :glare:

Phil

Ain't that the truth! For every page, (100 listings), in my area, there must be 90 Realtor ads. B) It's become an extension of the MLS. But I still get a laugh when I email an Agent by mistake because they don't ID themselves as such. They always jump down my throat for suggesting something creative and outside the way they think. :D

BEV!

You mean there are actually people in this world who have not heard of Craigslist? :D

Phil

Of course! Otherwise, why would they pay $100's to advertise their properties on newspapers?

I say we should all get together and create our own "Craigslist" next best thing where only investors like ourselves would advertise our properties and if realtors/agents want to advertise, they would have to pay B)

(we can email our properties to all the "house wanted" people from craigslist :D )

I say we set up a sticky folder here dedicated to Craigslist entirely :glare:

BEV!

I say we should all get together and create our own "Craigslist" next best thing where only investors like ourselves would advertise our properties and if realtors/agents want to advertise, they would have to pay B)

(we can email our properties to all the "house wanted" people from craigslist :D )

I say we set up a sticky folder here dedicated to Craigslist entirely :glare:

BEV!

Amen, Sister! :D