The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JasonBhatt

Tracking Down Owners

I have several leads, in which the owner is gone.

1) A ran down house, in the middle of college town. I know that some agent attempted to sell it ... But it was foreclosed upon.

Basis: Windows boarded up, and there is a real estate agent's sign on the deck, under like 1 inch of dirt as well as an open house sign.

-- I think this house was foreclosed on

2) Lady moved out of house, becasue her husband committed suicide in the house. A friend told me about this property (for the finders fee of course.. LOL)...

-It is advertised by an agent, and according to her, has been for sale for about 7 months. I am pretty sure that the contract has expired.

One is in another state, and the other is in some small county. I was planning on calling the tax assessors office first to see if I could get any info.

Does anyone have any tips that might help me track down the owners?

Thanks!

-Jason

A.F. & A.M. 211

Here's how we look up a property. Warning: Not all County websites are created equal!

Check here to see if your county's Tax Assessor and/or Recorder are online

NetrOnline

If your counties are available, then you want to do a Google Search for "YOUR COUNTY NAME, STATE" this will get you to the direct site. I find that my search results are more effective and I can bookmark the correct links if we search the originating site, instead of thru this portal.

If it is a REO, you may be able to find more info about the house..

Note the Listing Realtor Name and Agency - Do they have a website?

Search the MLS - We have Online MSL (doesn't tell dates of listings and expired)

Search the County tax assessor for former owner's name----if the record has already changed...get the parcel ID...note the last sale date and price.

Search the County Recorder for the Previous Owner's Name and Parcel ID

You should turn up their NOD, Mortgage Record, etc, the lender should show up here too on any of these documents.

So you now know who owns, have a bit of the paper trail associated with foreclosure and can contact the realtor or bank with a bit of knowledge.

Best wishes!

option8

Sign in to follow this