The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
dan332

Paying a referral Fee to neighbors

Is there anything that is illegal about advertsing to homeowners in a neighborhood that you will pay them a referral fee if they help find a buyer or seller? I dont want to be accused of "practicing RE w/out a license"!

I don't think so, Dan. Far be it from me to know every nook and cranny of the real estate code, but that sure seems like a stretch to be accused of brokering real estate without a license.

Is there anything that is illegal about advertising to homeowners in a neighborhood that you will pay them a referral fee if they help find a buyer or seller? I don't want to be accused of "practicing RE w/out a license"!

Depends on your state. In Florida, it is not illegal to pay such a fee. It is, however, illegal to accept it, meaning that the homeowner, not you, is practicing brokerage without a license. The question is, who is going to report you?

I am not qualified to give legal advice, so heres my opinion

I would think that if you did not have a specific house you were trying to get sellers/buyers for there would be no problem. You're just soliciting information. Anyone can do that

I don't think it would be a problem if you were looking for buyer referrals for a particular house as long as you had that house under contract so you are a principal. I mean, FSBOs can do whatever advertising they like because they own the place. With a signed contract, you are a principal too, so I don't see why you couldn't do this referral from neighbors thing.

Randian had a good point of who's going to report you. In looking to what could go wrong, the only person I could see reporting you is a disgrunted realtor that hate investors. But if you either had no house and were just trying to get a seller/buyer list or if you had a house and were under contract as a principal. What could they do.

Good question!

We'd be hanging doorknockers where one side would say "we have a house in YOUR neghborhood on RTO so if you have any friends or family you'd like close by, this is a good deal, etc.." The other side would say "If you know of anyone needing to sell their place and they are having a tough time, call us, we have a solution" In both cases offering a fee when we find a T/B.

Since we'd hang these on all doors, even those with a Realtor sign out front, we'll probably piss off some realtors.. thats why I asked.

Thanks to all for great input... will probably try this and see what happens!

Personally I've never found referral fees to work anyway. People will readily refer you just because of what you do, you don't need to pay them.

People will readily refer you just because of what you do, you don't need to pay them.

...applies to chicks as well. :lol:

Hey everybody,

My opinion is do you get in trouble for tipping a water. but on the other hand does is have some simularities to white water (somebody gets a kick back)....

I give them but I don't advertise....

Hey everybody,

My opinion is do you get in trouble for tipping a water. but on the other hand does is have some simularities to white water (somebody gets a kick back)....

I give them but I don't advertise....

Tony?!?! :D What the?!?!?

Welcome back, bro. Always good to hear from you. Hope all is well with you and the family. :lol:

All is fine we just moved, into the new house. I mentioned it like in January. it worked out well we didn't close untill june and worked on it for 3 month. which kept me in my old house just over 2 years.....to those who don't know that means tax free $$$$.

Never in my life would I have thought we would have this nice of a house. And I can never thank MC enough for his encouragement when I started back when the board had less then 60 members, now there is over 4500 (happy b-day pinkerton & DanielleSnyder).

All is fine we just moved, into the new house. I mentioned it like in January. it worked out well we didn't close untill june and worked on it for 3 month. which kept me in my old house just over 2 years.....to those who don't know that means tax free $$$$.

Never in my life would I have thought we would have this nice of a house. And I can never thank MC enough for his encouragement when I started back when the board had less then 60 members, now there is over 4500 (happy b-day pinkerton & DanielleSnyder).

I appreciate the kind words, Tony. That's the best payback of all! :D

And, yeah, you are one of the oldtimers around here, aren't you? Sixty members? I think I had hair back then! :lol:

Is there anything that is illegal about advertsing to homeowners in a neighborhood that you will pay them a referral fee if they help find a buyer or seller? I dont want to be accused of "practicing RE w/out a license"!

You can pay anyone you want a referral fee. You can advertise it, you can paint it on your truck and you can fly a plane that writes it in the sky. It's ACCEPTING a referral fee that can be an issue if you're not a principle.

And yes, referral fees work. They work especially well a second time with people after you've come through for.

My two cents,

Adam

PS Tony? WTF? Where have you been?

Adam,

I've pretty busy, stopped in here and there from the library (computers been down for 9 month or so [i am lazy]). I have been busy with a couple of rehabs a sl/o turned sub2, rehabed my new house it was built in 1973 and never touched since.

Adam,

I've pretty busy, stopped in here and there from the library (computers been down for 9 month or so [i am lazy]). I have been busy with a couple of rehabs a sl/o turned sub2, rehabed my new house it was built in 1973 and never touched since.

Well, it's good to hear you're alive and still kicking it with the REI. :D

SLO Turned Sub To = Tax Advantage

Cool stuff!

Keep us posted on your endeavors!

Adam