The forums have been archived and are now read only. Years of great info saved for your reading pleasure. Thank you! Visit us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NakedInvestor/ ×
The Naked Investor Forums
CS1977

1,2,3--go!!

One of the cities I do most of my investing in is for the first time cracking down on directional signs, so I'm also looking for other ways to market my properties. Online ads are working alright. But I've been thinking a little BIGGER lately.

I'm thinking about running a half (top half) front page ad in the Pennysaver. Our Pennysaver reaches virtually every household and studies show that something like 93% of the population reads the front page at the very least. This would of course be very expensive but I think it might be possible to do this 3 or 4 times a year and get more than enough T/Bs on the waiting list.

The other thought I had which would be cheaper because it wouldn't reach as many people but it would be better targeted, is to advertise in the real estate mags like the realtors and builders do.

Dan, wish I had a secret to share with you for finding t/b's with ready cash. I don't, and I don't think there are any. Unless your advertising begins to state specific dollar amounts, total move in costs, etc., I think we will be always find ourselves receiving many calls from folks who haven't a prayer of getting into the property before finding the one or two who are qualified.

Well, in the meantime, I am testing to see what works. Maybe its the "message" and not the "medium".. ie if its a good deal it should move. Of course I'll continue with signs. But what bugs me about signs is that they are limited to the really local area. I cant see driving more than 10-15 miles to put these up at 5AM every week.. unless I hire a helper. Or enlist the homeowner to do it, with me supplying signs (wont work if house is empty and owner has moved already). And in the newer parts of town, there is really no place that a RTO sign would last more than a day.

I'm going to try:

-Doorhangers around the neighborhood where we have RTOs (cheap)

-Passing same out to hairdressers and nail salons (it always seems to be the women who want a place and bug hubby to get busy on finding the $$). Offering a referral fee

-More frequent and eyecatching CL posts

Have tried Pennysaver and direct mail to get sellers- I think a waste of money. Easier to just call or email people. To get buyers, dont know how effective these would be. I dont see spending bigger $$ without more houses to move (only have 2 now, but expect 2-3 more soon)

Might try leaving stacks of brochures on top of those vending machines for newspapers and RE magazines.

What I'd really like to figure out is how to reach buyers in a higher price range. I dont think these folks even glance at RTO signs. So many more expensive properties at good prices out there, but how to move them?

Also tested Zillow- its cheap but you pay for eyeballs not click throughs. Might try again, although I suspect most people on Zillow are there to comp their own house, not shopping for one

Might also try some unusual stuff like posting in forums, etc.. will probably sub this effort out to pros though.